Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM 66 Motor Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For ome reason I thought powermatic saws used a standard NEMA C face motor unlike a unisaw which has a custom motor mount system.
    Bill
    NEMA 56-C is what I saw on a friend's saw.

That vibration is cause by the start circuit contacts engaging and the stored amperage in the starting capacitor kicking in. A very common issue and can be corrected by putting a bleeder resistor across the two terminal on the capacitor. Baldor motors in PM66s are noted for this.
    CPeter

Ok, took it to the motor shop, they said the starter windings are cooked and the bearings are shot, they said it's cheaper 600 to just replace the motor. I paid 600 for the saw originally. What do I do now? The starter that is on it is just a standard on off switch. Ugh.

If the motor was running when you took it in the start winding hasn't failed. It is showing signs of overheating from repetitive starts, hence looking cooked. At this point, put new bearings in it and run it to failure. It may only last a month or you may get years of service out of it, no point in replacing it until it craps out. You'll definitely want to budget for a magnetic switch with overload protection when you do replace the motor.