Thread: Cupped pumpkin pine floors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cupped pumpkin pine floors

Hey everyone!

My husband and I have purchased a beautiful 1780 house and need some assistance. We have completed the major items (all new electric, roof, structural, septic and plumbing) and are now moving on to cosmetics.

The pumpkin pine floors are gorgeous but areas have heavy damage from the previous owners pets. Just scratches, not waste products thank goodness. The majority of the floor is beautiful and shiny with the classical orange patina. Other areas are down to the bare wood, large areas that can't be hidden.

Here's the rub. I had the local guy who specializes in these floors out and he said because of the cupping he will have to take "quite a bit" off the floors. The boards are random width but up to 15" wide and a little over 1" thick with cupping up to .5 inches. That's a lot more than I want to take off, as the floors have quite a bit of bounce already and it would take them millimeters away from the T&G.

I'm willing to live with the cups, They don't really bother me. I'm looking for options to fix the wrecked areas without taking up to a half inch off the entire floor. I understand that a traditional floor sander won't be possible. I'm willing to do it myself by hand or by any other method that will save the majority of the wood. This is where I need suggestions, I'm not sure where to start.

Thank you so much for reading this extremely long post!! Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Melanie Rys; 09-21-2017 at 8:44 PM.