Thread: Muscle Chuck

Muscle Chuck

I have this now on my router. I like it pretty much but I'm having trouble getting some of my router bits into it. One was easy to figure out. It wouldn't go into the 1/4" adapter. Upon further investigation I found that the shaft of this bit was not straight. Old and cheap bit. But yesterday I couldn't get a fairly new and hardly used 1/2" shaft bit to fully enter the chuck. Stopped about 2/3 of the way in. I tried cleaning the shaft with some 800 emery paper. What else? This chuck is only 'handy' if I can get bits into it!
    Scott

Blog Entries
    I would contact the maker. There could have been a bad run or yours just slipped by QA. It happens. Give them a chance to make it right before doing too much.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What Glenn said. I've used Muscle Chucks on two different routers and haven't seen what you describe.

A comment on Amazon for Muscle Chuck said that due to the tolerances they are made to they can be picky about what bits they will accept, any dings of high spots can prevent a bit form entering fully. There may be an unseen problem with your bit, or it maybe a manufacturing defect with the chuck.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    A muscle Chuck looks a lot like the design on a shaft clamp collar. On a single split ring collar, if you tighten it on and under size shaft the ring can be deformed such that it doesn't open fully when the locking screw is relaxed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute