Thread: newly refinished floors are crackling now

Blog Entries

newly refinished floors are crackling now

Hi,

Our floors made absolutely zero noise for 20 years. Literally, none. Trujoists and 3/4" ply, dehumidifier, etc. No noise. none.

We had our floors refinished and now they are crackling with some popping. Sort of sounds like crunching.
    Like if you put sand on the floor, then a piece of wood and step on it, sound.

The guy who refinished them said, "give it thirty days and walk on it a bit"

It has been 60 days.

Any ideas on what caused this? Any ideas for fixing?

thank you all
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-27-2017 at 8:42 PM.

Sure. When you finish or refinish floors that are already laid, the finish gets down in the tongue and groove and effectively acts like a glue. When you walk on it, the stress breaks the bonded pieces of flooring free and you hear a crack. Should go away in time, but you need to walk on it and possibly let it go through one season to cycle.

Prefinished flooring doesn't do this as the boards don't get stuck to one another.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Sure. When you finish or refinish floors that are already laid, the finish gets down in the tongue and groove and effectively acts like a glue. When you walk on it, the stress breaks the bonded pieces of flooring free and you hear a crack. Should go away in time, but you need to walk on it and possibly let it go through one season to cycle.

Prefinished flooring doesn't do this as the boards don't get stuck to one another.
    Thank you
    The floors were finished before and the finish was sanded off and then Rubio Monocoat was applied
    Even with a monocoat finish this procedure happens (that you wrote above)?
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-27-2017 at 9:03 PM.

Not familiar with that finish. But it would happen with any hardening finish.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Not familiar with that finish. But it would happen with any hardening finish.
    well, at least I have hope now thank you!

Now... let's say 18 months goes by and it is still happening.. then what? (Trying to prepare worse case scenario)

Quote Originally Posted by mike waters View Post
    well, at least I have hope now thank you!

Now... let's say 18 months goes by and it is still happening.. then what? (Trying to prepare worse case scenario)
    burn the house down its a lost cause

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    burn the house down its a lost cause
    ahaahaha

thanks for the laugh haha.

Neighborhood Dance Party. Marc

earplugs?

Ours did that after I put them down, they don't now. I didn't notice when it stopped-- it was four years ago that I laid and finished the floors. Now we just have the squeaks and moans typical to an older house.