I'm a relative woodworking noob, and to this point, I have used S4S lumber from one of the Borgs for my projects.

I do not have a planer, and have been saving my money for a high quality combo machine (buy once, cry once).

I had intended for my next project to be a barbecue cart, made out of cedar. The cedar boards at both local Borgs, however, have one rough side. I did manage to smooth one board out using hand planes, but (aside from the time) I realized that I was not going to end up with a consistent thickness among all the boards, and in some cases even within a single board. (Revealing my low level of Neander skills.) I know that having consistent stock prepared in the jointing/planing/cut-to-size method is crucial for getting beyond the handyman stage and earning my woodworking chops.

My conclusion: I need a planer (thicknesser). At the moment, I really don't have the space or the money for the ultimate machine (Hammer A3-31 or equivalent). So, even though I know it's more expensive in the long run, I'm thinking a small lunchbox planer would meet my needs until the dream machine is a reality.

So, here's my question (finally): Since this will be a temporary short-term fix, is the Dewalt 735 worth the extra $$ over the 734? Or should I keep my losses to the minimum, get the 734 and save the extra money for later? Or, is there an option I have overlooked?

I have been checking the local Craigslist, and the lunchbox planers that have been listed are either neglected used-up disasters, or priced within a couple dollars of a new unit, so I'm thinking of buying reconditioned from CPO.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated...