Thread: Miter key sled question

Miter key sled question

There are two types of miter key sled - one rides in the miter slots, the other against the fence. Which do you prefer and why?

It would seem that the fence riders are easier to make, but would need to get replaced more often as they get chewed up.

The slot riders would last indefinitely, but would be less convenient for narrow items such as picture frames or box lids. and would require some system for maintaining consistent position as the box is rotated.

Thanks,

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Router table or table saw?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Table saw. Main use would be for boxes and picture frames - for keys to reinforce miters.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-01-2017 at 3:36 PM.

-Woody Allen-

I have been planning one also, but no help on the experience. So far I am leaning toward wrapping it around the Beis fence. I suspect it would be more stable, but I am willing to listen to disagreement also. The fence would also be nice to index more than one slot.

I also need one for the router table, so I can do dovetail keys on miters.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-02-2017 at 2:59 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Depends how parallel your fence is to blade. Miter slide doesn't change, fence might??
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Dan,

Mine rides against the fence (on the right). The workpiece rides against the right side of the jig. The position of the slot is established by the position of the fence. This was, as you say, the easiest to make and establishes the position and size of the slots consistently. You make it so that the bottom of the jig is open, and the workpiece protrudes below the jig. Then the saw blade does not cut the jig.

If I don't have a lot to cut, I cut these by hand, now. It takes longer but the results are the same.

Doug

Thanks for your replies. I ended up going with a fence riding style with an open bottom as Doug suggested. I will add a replaceable 1/4" piece of mdf on the trailing slanted support for zero clearance to prevent tear out on blade exit. Based on this plan ... Table Saw Jig for Strong Miters | Woodsmith Tips.

Dan

-Woody Allen-