Thread: Finish for a book rack for first graders?

Finish for a book rack for first graders?

I'm close to finishing a book rack for my son's fiance who is a first grade teacher. I'm using baltic birch ply. Those first graders can be a rough bunch so I want a tough finish. I also don't want it to yellow with age. I don't have a sprayer so that's not an option.

The book rack is 12" deep, 36" wide and 30" tall and sits on the floor. Yep, they're little gals and fellas. :-) I am basing it off of this book rack that one of her fellow teachers has. The back rest on mine will be 1/4" baltic birch not masonite like this version.

Something easy to apply, tough, doesn't yellow and doesn't require 5 coats would be great. Thanks!

IMG_5357.jpg

I’d go with some brush on bed liner. Seems like it fits the bill!

a few coats of a good poly should be good. I do like the idea of truck bed liner though! a 2 part polyurea paint would be excellent as well, similar to the bed liner without the texture. also, overkill.

Anything but Ryobi green!

General Finishes water based polycrylic.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I build a book rack for my daughters 2nd grade class. I finished it with a Rustoleum rattle can gloss paint. It's held up very well for a school year so far.
    Wood'N'Scout

Varathane Diamond Floor finish (water based) in gloss. That what we use on cabinets for local "Y's. Set built in 1997 is still going strong" Because it's a floor finish, it contains aluminum oxide. Being water based, it doesn't yellow.

You indicate "no sprayer" so assuming "easy to apply" means brush and rolling which may actually be a challenge with those narrow dividers, especially sanding. Maybe finish before assembly? Baltic ply can also be purchased pre-finished or with a colored laminate finish which is super durable. All you would need to finish would be the edges.

Someone recommended General Finishes. I use and like their commercial waterborne spray products Enduro Var (ambering) and Conversion Varnish (pure white clear) typically in satin. Enduro Var says it is brushable (I've never tried) but it is designed to goes on slightly amber and contains no UV absorbers from what I see in the spec sheet. They have another product in the commercial line I've never used, called High Performance Polyurethane. It is a modified urethane/acrylic with UV absorbers should be resistant to yellowing. That to me sounds like the product to use. The products I'm familiar with all dry quite fast allowing quick sanding and recoating. Three coats is all I've generally ever used and the products I've used are very durable. Care is required if staining since some of these products are picky about the chemistry of sealer coats or stains.

Regarding yellowing, be careful because not all water-based paints have UV absorbers or don't yellow. As mentioned, the GF Enduro actually simulates an ambered finish and to my knowledge contains no UV absorbers. Ben Moore Advance actually is a waterborne alkyd and specifically states it will yellow!
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-05-2017 at 5:51 PM. Reason: (forum changed so recommendation to change forums irrelevant)
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius