Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just got a Cell Phone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Just got a Cell Phone

I finally got my first cell phone. I was happy with just a landline but it worked out to be cost effective to switch to a smartphone and cut my landline. We discussed it here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-a-Cell-Phone
    I see the benefit to texting and I do that now. I get wind reports on it so it's great for windsurfing.
    The problem is my wife and family want me to respond on it like they do, almost non-stop and compulsive.
    I answered a voice call driving like I promised I'd never do. I did make a dash mount so it's a legal hands-free phone now.
    When I set up voicemail I want it to say "I don't respond by voice, please email or text me" That seems faster and less hassle.
    I originally said I'd leave it at home and only take it with me if I was gone all day. Now I feel like I'm getting sucked into the compulsion to take it everywhere.

Any tips for a recent landline cutter who's never had a cell phone?
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 10-04-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Nip it in the bud

My only advice is to train the instant communicators. Do it now before it's too late!

Some people used to get quite upset when I didn't respond instantly. What I did was purposely wait a while, maybe 30 minutes before responding For people I didn't want to talk to anyway I might wait until the next day. It's just like training a horse or llama - patience and repetition. If they complain I tell them I was busy, running machinery, was in a poor reception area, or was throwing up in the bathroom. One of these is always true. After some training no one expects instant responses.

I also had to train myself when I began to have the compulsion to answer when driving. Sometimes I turn my phone off when driving (or working around the farm) - sure improves battery life. Having it off or at least silenced when driving removes the temptation to use it and wreck the car. I know people who leave their phones off until they want to make a call. Occasionally I leave it at home just for practice. Often I just don't answer - there is no law saying I must. If it's important they will leave a message.

One other hint - put everyone's name in your phone's address book so you can see who's calling. If the phone number is unrecognized I never answer it. That eliminates ALL of the noxious robo and sales calls. If it's my Lovely Bride calling and it's time for supper or she is away from home I will answer it. Maybe she's calling because she has decided to buy me a track hoe.

Most of the population has forgotten that life went on just fine for a LONG time without instant communication. I'm convinced now if the cell system goes down it will be the collapse of civilization and possibly the end of the humans in most of the world - no one will be able to find their way around, be unable to find food, shelter, and medical care, will have no idea how to meet up with people, will be unable to date, get married, and reproduce.

BTW, I got my first cell phone sometime between the car phone and the flip phone, late '80s, early '90s? I didn't know anyone else who had a cell phone at the time. It was a huge phone compared to what's available today. I was walking around a computer graphics convention in Los Angeles in a huge hall so noisy you could barely hear yourself think and hand the phone in my back pocket when someone tapped me on the shoulder: "Excuse me, but your butt is ringing!" Ha!

JKJ

I check texts once or twice a day just like email. Nobody is going to force me to pay more attention to it than that.

Andrew, congratulations on the technology leap. Although I've had pagers and then cell phones for years for work I didn't get my own until I retired about 6 years ago. And I also got rid of my landline at that time. I know a lot of people that I would say get "addicted" to their cell phones and I can understand that. You just have to be diligent in how you use it. I always have mine in the car when I go anywhere since I feel it's a great tool to have in case of any emergency, whether you have to make the call or someone needs to contact you.

I'm fortunate that my car has a bluetooth connection for my phone and answer and hangup buttons are on the steering wheel. And since the audio goes over the vehicle sound system it automatically overrides the radio. Of course, I get less than a dozen calls a year while I'm driving (helps that I'm single). But having your phone with you also comes in handy if you see something (while not driving) that you would like to share or capture as an idea for a project you can just take a picture.

I also do not do any banking or other financial activity on my cell phone. In fact, the only app I use that required a password is my email. And if someone ever hacked that I think they would get bored in short order.

I've had a cellphone (I think I'm on #10) since 1996. The compulsion to answer every call went away years ago--I wouldn't have gotten any work done. The one bit of wisdom from a former member here that flipped that mental switch for me was, "I pay for the phone, I decide when to use it".
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I got my first cell phone before I retired in 1996. Within a couple of years, I had decided that I would scrap my business landline (Southwestern Bell was gouging me) and just use a cell phone for my new business. That was one of my better equipment decisions. I was late coming to the texting thing but now use it often but do not allow it to interupt anything. I've had Bluetooth in my last two cars so I answer the phone while driving. I do not place calls or text.

I use the camera and email so much for my business that I couldn't get by without it.

At first, Motorola seemed to be the way to go, then Blackberry but now, after about 3 years I'm a diehard iPhone guy.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-05-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had my cell phone since 1989 and I still have a land line that I use more than the cell. still have the same number that I got back then also. I remember driving down through KY and getting an automated call to check if I wanted service in that area

I've kept my land line because the cell reception is really bad where I live and my business is behind the house. While here I forward my cell ( which is my business number) to my landline and leave the cell lying on the dining table all the time I'm home.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I've kept my land line because the cell reception is really bad where I live and my business is behind the house. While here I forward my cell ( which is my business number) to my landline and leave the cell lying on the dining table all the time I'm home.
    I did just the opposite have my land line set to answer anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Had the same problem in Coppell TX with all of the carriers - switched to T Mobile due to their Wi-Fi calling capability and dumped the landline

Thanks for the feedback. I'm finding short simple texting does save me time. Overall I'm happy I cut the cord on the landline.
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm finding short simple texting does save me time.
    Honestly, this family uses text messaging a LOT, even between one end of the house and the other, such as between my office and Professor Dr. SWMBO's office which are at opposite ends and a one floor difference in elevation. Sometime non-real-time communication is more efficient than "talking", quite frankly. (or shouting, as the case may be... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, this family uses text messaging a LOT, even between one end of the house and the other, such as between my office and Professor Dr. SWMBO's office which are at opposite ends and a one floor difference in elevation. Sometime non-real-time communication is more efficient than "talking", quite frankly. (or shouting, as the case may be... )
    I'm trying. I have an iphone 4. It doesn't have voice text and I have have big slow fingers.

I got in trouble with my spouse last night. She was gone overnight and my phone was on silent as I dosed on the couch. I turned on the volume to get in bed and saw she called twice and texted once. She even left a voicemail saying she was in in accident to test my night time emergency response ability! Oops, I called her and verified she was OK and explained. OK must leave phone on at all times. Went bed to be awakened at 5AM by a text from her that she accidentally texted me instead of her sister. I asked her if there's a way to silence the text but not the ability to get a phone call. More trouble. Evidently the cell phone users in our family need to be in touch by all methods 24 hours a day!
    To be fair, my wife's really stressed about a rebellious grandchild right now. I learned a long time time ago to say "yes dear" promptly to avoid trouble. However the switch from a landline to cell has me baffled as far as the relationships in my family go.
    - Henry Ford

Learning to be responsive to texts and calls is a heck of a lot cheaper than a good divorce attorney... 'Just sayin...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm trying. I have an iphone 4. It doesn't have voice text and I have have big slow fingers.

I got in trouble with my spouse last night. She was gone overnight and my phone was on silent as I dosed on the couch. I turned on the volume to get in bed and saw she called twice and texted once. She even left a voicemail saying she was in in accident to test my night time emergency response ability! Oops, I called her and verified she was OK and explained. OK must leave phone on at all times. Went bed to be awakened at 5AM by a text from her that she accidentally texted me instead of her sister. I asked her if there's a way to silence the text but not the ability to get a phone call. More trouble. Evidently the cell phone users in our family need to be in touch by all methods 24 hours a day!
    To be fair, my wife's really stressed about a rebellious grandchild right now. I learned a long time time ago to say "yes dear" promptly to avoid trouble. However the switch from a landline to cell has me baffled as far as the relationships in my family go.
    You need this app: Swype It is almost as fast and accurate as voice texting.