Thread: Moxon Vise & planing stop combo

Blog Entries

Moxon Vise & planing stop combo

I was reading another post in which a poster stated that he just leaves his Moxon on one end of his bench, as it seldomly is in the way there. I have also been reading the post on various ways to set up planing stops on a bench. Researching planing stop ideas guided me to pictures of benches that have a height adjustable planing stop extending the full width, on the left end of the bench top (for right handed people). The posible benefit of this bench fixture would be to provide a higher work holding vise that does double duty as a height adjustable planing stop. I am working on ways to attach the Moxon/Planing Stop so it could be removed but could normally just be set level with the bench top. Would this device just be trying to do too much, decreasing functioality for each job?

Blog Entries
    Would this device just be trying to do too much, decreasing functioality for each job?
    Most likely yes.

What is used to hold an end stop would have to be fairly beefy to hold a Moxon vise effectively. End stops do occasionally take a hit from a plane. That might not be good for one of the Moxon jaws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have some 3/16" thick compressed rubber that I was thinking about using on the surface of the plane stop. I think you may be right about trying to do too many things Jim. I may just make a planing height bench and a higher bench. Then I can make a single purpose planing stop on the end of the planing bench, with the rubber pad to rest the work on. I put some of the same rubber on my shavinghorse's clamping surface and it works pretty well to hold work.

Blog Entries
    with the rubber pad to rest the work on.
    The rubber pad will likely help to lessen lateral movements. Lateral movement is one of the vexations of planing against a stop.

At times my end vise has been used to hold a piece of scrap to work as a stop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I originally bought the rubber mat to make a more solid, custom fit matt for the boot (english name for a car's trunk) in my Mini Cooper. I have been hauling tools back and forth between our new home in North GA and the home we are selling. The tools were starting to reap a toll on the original surface. The rubber mat in the Mini Coopers boot and the piece on my shavehorse have both proven very helpful at keeping things from sliding around. The matt deflects just enough to grip things without being too thick. I am thinking about using a piece on my sharpening table too as it is waterproof. The issue with the material is it isn't particularly easy to clean, and it is butt ugly. I ordered my original piece on Amazon, but then found that Lowe's carries it.

I am actually working on two benches. One bench will be built using a Noden "Adjust A Bench" (AJB) base, which gives me a height adjustable bench. I have just not convinced myself that the AJB will be steady enough for work like chiseling and sawing at higher heights. I am considering putting a plywood/MDF top, like a Festool top, on the AJB. The issue with that type top is it will be lighter and less steady than a 4" slab. I am working on a torsion box design that should be able to support multiple pieces of MDF. Hopefully the additional weight and support will be sturdier than the typical Festool table. I have been trying to find a local source for a MDF type product called "Medite Smartply" (MDS), which is an improved MDF that works more like real wood. MDS can be bought in waterproof/resistant/fire retarding versions. I also have reason to believe it may be available in thicknesses greater than 3/4". I am facing similar trade offs in the design of the AJB bench/worktable. Do I want it to serve more as an adjustable height table that can be used as an out feed for machines and Festool tools or do I want it to be heavier and sturdier like a "real" bench.... Sooo many trade offs!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.

With my set up as pictured I can plane thin pieces up to about 8" w. I have to plane about 1/2 of it than flip end for end and plane the other half in the opposite direction. It's easy enough for me. It's not what I am doing in the picture but you can see how it works.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am not sure what kind of vice you are showing us James? Maybe a twin screw chain vise, but it looks more like two separate quick release vises with outside jaws that fit over the built in dogs on the vises?. Right now I am trying to figure out how to plane 8"wide 8/4 stock 7-8' long on a 54" (counting the end vise) compact Hammer bench. Maybe when I get that done I will end up with a 7'+ x 4" x 20" wide bench top that can handle larger work.

Hi Mike, You are correct there are two quick releases on the end of my bench. The devise you see is what I call my wannabe Moxon. In many cases it works similar to a Moxon and I use it as such. I worked for years on a 5' bench and still have it in the garage to work on. My current bench is a Noden at 6' set up special for me. Pictured is a 6qtr x 11 1/2" piece of rough cherry that I recently flattened for a project. I use various work holding methods to flatten long pieces and have never felt limited by length. As soon as you get a 7 foot bench you will need to flatten a 12' piece. Best to have many options. In this case I had the piece between a clamp on the bench and the face vise on the opposite end from where I have the Moxon.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Pallas; 10-08-2017 at 5:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Lately I have been thinking about making my Noden AJB so it can serve as a work support for my heavier bench. It seems to me that a long bench makes for a large object to circumnavigate in the shop. The Noden AJB could serve to extend a shorter bench and support even long pieces. The AJB may make a Moxon unnecessary as well.

Mike, My Noden bench is not very special. It is a standard Noden with their standard 1 3/4" top. The only different thing is I have 4 QR vises, one on each corner. Everyone's standards are different. I use this bench for everything, planing, chopping, sawing etc. I have not found it to be lacking as far as my work is concerned. If it is up on the casters it may move some or if you chop in the middle you may get some rebound. If it's down on the legs and you chop over the supports as you would on any bench it works just fine. I do use it set relatively high in many cases, 38 1/2" for planing, i.e. That is because of my work methods. YMMV of course.
    Jim