Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluing 1/8" plywood to edge of 1/4" plywood

Here's another possible idea for you.

A few months ago I made an alcove for my dog's outside water bowl to help keep out birds and leaves. I bought a product called GoBoard which is used primarily as an underlayment for tile. It is 1/2 inch thick and the sheet is 3 x 5 feet. It feels like a much denser foam than the styrofoam insulation board but is still very light weight and it has a gray layer on both sides. It cuts pretty easy with a utility knife but I ended up using my table saw to get straight, crisp edges. I used polyurethane glue only to hold the pieces together. I see no degradation in the months it's been outside in the sun and rain. I didn't paint it, although I did try spraying a scrap piece which seemed to absorb the thinner paint. If I had to paint it I would use a solid color stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mike, in earlier days they did routinely use paint for glue ...and paint. So that should work. I have only used glue for adhesion, then acrylic primer thinned with a little water. Then full coat of primer. Then paint.
    Thanks for the info and confirmation. I'm going to try the primer as glue method with a modification to my previous post as follows:

1. I'm thinking about priming the wood and letting it dry somewhat to allow the primer to soak into the wood.
    2. Then applying another coat of primer to the wood and quickly laying a strip of 2" wide fabric over the joint with 1" per side.
    3. Then immediately applying more primer to soak through the fabric.
    4. >> After the primer dries sufficiently, I'll use acrylic paint to fill the weave of the fabric. <<

The mod is in step-4 I'll use 100% acrylic paint instead of more primer. The acrylic paint should have more body and flexibility than primer which hopefully will add to the strength of the fabric reinforcement.

Thanks for the ideas,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike sato; 10-10-2017 at 5:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Mike, I think you may have missed Jacques’ point. I think he was suggesting using styrofoam or similar insulation board in place of plywood, to hold the insulation you already have and plan to use.

Seemed like an interesting and workable alternative idea to me.

Bill
    Oh, is that what he meant. That is a novel and nice idea indeed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Here's another possible idea for you.

A few months ago I made an alcove for my dog's outside water bowl to help keep out birds and leaves. I bought a product called GoBoard which is used primarily as an underlayment for tile. It is 1/2 inch thick and the sheet is 3 x 5 feet. It feels like a much denser foam than the styrofoam insulation board but is still very light weight and it has a gray layer on both sides. It cuts pretty easy with a utility knife but I ended up using my table saw to get straight, crisp edges. I used polyurethane glue only to hold the pieces together. I see no degradation in the months it's been outside in the sun and rain. I didn't paint it, although I did try spraying a scrap piece which seemed to absorb the thinner paint. If I had to paint it I would use a solid color stain.
    Where did you buy your GoBoard from? I searched HomeDepot and Lowes websites but did not have any hits.
    What was the cost per 3x5x1/2" panel?
    How stiff is the GoBoard? (Stiff like 1/2" plywood or 1/4" plywood, etc.)
    When you used polyurethane glue to hold the pieces together, were there edges glued like in assembling a box?
    What was your project?

Sorry for so many questions but you have gotten my attention to this product. May be helpful to others too.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Bill:

Thanks for bringing clarity to my suggestion.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sato View Post
    ... I plan to spray the exposed areas of the RB60 inside of the box with a light coat of automotive engine enamel to minimize fibers from being expelled from the box...
    Painting over the mineral wool will change both its acoustic absorption characteristics (frequency dependent, largest impact of paint will be in the mid-higher frequencies) and its fire resistance (one of the benefits of rock wool, which is actually made from basalt and chalk). I don't know what kinds of temps you will be encountering, or what frequencies you are trying to attenuate, or how 'light' a spray you can achieve while still bonding the fibers but this is something to consider.

If the temps are not very high, the traditional approach to encapsulating mineral fiber in an acoustic application is with a cloth material. Flame resistant material is used in commercial applications. If you can breath through the material it won't have a significant impact on acoustic absorption. If you can't breathe through the surface coat, then higher frequencies will not be absorbed, they will be reflected.

A final note, Roxul is available in different densities which also effect its frequency absorption characteristics.

Food for thought.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Painting over the mineral wool will change both its acoustic absorption characteristics (frequency dependent, largest impact of paint will be in the mid-higher frequencies) and its fire resistance (one of the benefits of rock wool, which is actually made from basalt and chalk). I don't know what kinds of temps you will be encountering, or what frequencies you are trying to attenuate, or how 'light' a spray you can achieve while still bonding the fibers but this is something to consider.

If the temps are not very high, the traditional approach to encapsulating mineral fiber in an acoustic application is with a cloth material. Flame resistant material is used in commercial applications. If you can breath through the material it won't have a significant impact on acoustic absorption. If you can't breathe through the surface coat, then higher frequencies will not be absorbed, they will be reflected.

A final note, Roxul is available in different densities which also effect its frequency absorption characteristics.

Food for thought.
    I did agonize whether painting over the mineral wool would be too detrimental in my application. My current thought is that in an absorption scenario like panels on the walls and ceiling in a studio to absorb sound, it wouldn't be ideal and that fabric coverings are a far better solution. But to contain sound in a generator box, I don't think a thin coat of paint will make much difference in the sound reduction due to "transmission through" the mineral wool. I like using mineral wool for it's fire resistance and I'm going to use engine enamel as the paint in that regard.

>> A final note, Roxul is available in different densities which also effect its frequency absorption characteristics. <<
    Yes, Roxul has looser "Safe-n-sound" and firmer Rockboard in various thicknesses and compressions. I did a pre test using Rockboard 60 with my generator alone and then enclosed completely with Rockboard60. The reduction in sound was dramatic. I estimate a 60% overall reduction. The reduction in higher frequencies was really dramatic so the end result was a low frequency muffled sound that was very tolerable. In my finished project there will be intake and exit ports for air so with baffling if I can end up with a 50% overall sound reduction I'll be very happy.

Thanks for your input,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike sato; 10-10-2017 at 5:54 PM.

Sounds like you've thought it through Mike. If your paint layer just hits fibers and doesn't span the open pore space (i.e. you can blow through the paint layer) you should be fine. If the paint coat is continuous, and you can't blow through it, I don't think it will work as effectively on frequencies above a few hundred hertz.

Please let us know how it works out, I haven't seen anyone try to paint rock wool in this context . There is the theory, and then there is the real world.

Sometimes you just need to try stuff. If the paint has too large an impact, you can always flip the panels so the paint is on the back side of the panels, against the plywood, then the paint won't have any significant impact.

I assume this will be outdoors.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    If the paint has too large an impact, you can always flip the panels so the paint is on the back side of the panels, against the plywood, then the paint won't have any significant impact.
    ..... Exactly what I planned to do if sound reduction is worse than my initial test enclosing my generator completely with RB60. I did make a video recording of that initial test so I can use it to compare sound levels. I'm pretty confident though that the paint will not affect reduction of sound level "transmission through" the Rockboard 60. With luck it may even help (one additional layer to go through) ... .

I assume this will be outdoors.
    ..... No, my generator will only be run in our carport during power outages so it will always be out of the rain. I'm using PT plywood because that's what I have left over from previous projects. Exhaust from the generator will be piped up above the roof of our carport (40 inches above roof level) so no chance of carbon monoxide poisoning by running the generator in the carport.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Mike

Mike, I bought the GoBoard at Menards. The 3x5x1/2" panel was $22.99. My local Lowes website shows it as currently unavailable but did show a price of over $42. I would say it is just as stiff as 1/2" plywood. It will break if stressed enough (I tried it with a scrap piece) but it does take quite a bit of force. Realize too that it is dense enough to put ceramic tile on it and be walked on. It is made by Johns Manville and their website shows other thicknesses as well although my Menards only stocked the 1/2" thickness.

No fancy joints, just put glue on an edge and stuck a panel piece on. I didn't take any pictures of it and it's dark now. But I'll take a couple tomorrow (if it doesn't rain all day) and post them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Mike, I bought the GoBoard at Menards. The 3x5x1/2" panel was $22.99. My local Lowes website shows it as currently unavailable but did show a price of over $42. I would say it is just as stiff as 1/2" plywood. It will break if stressed enough (I tried it with a scrap piece) but it does take quite a bit of force. Realize too that it is dense enough to put ceramic tile on it and be walked on. It is made by Johns Manville and their website shows other thicknesses as well although my Menards only stocked the 1/2" thickness.

No fancy joints, just put glue on an edge and stuck a panel piece on. I didn't take any pictures of it and it's dark now. But I'll take a couple tomorrow (if it doesn't rain all day) and post them for you.
    Hi John,

Thanks for the info on the GoBoard. No Menards in our area, just HomeDepot and Lowes big box stores. The GoBoard may be hard to find here.
    Whoa, $22.99 at Menards but $42+ at Lowes (if they stocked it). That's quite a difference!

I'll just use the plywood that I already have. Shouldn't be "too" heavy and the generator will only be used during power outages, so free (plywood) is good... .

Thanks,
    Mike

If you're lining the inside of a plywood box, have you considered acoustic foam? I bought some on the bay for reline the motor cover of a Fein vac. One side was self adhesive and it makes a substantial difference even if I had to 'resaw' it to 3/8" to make the thickness work. It's surprising how well reasonably dense foam cuts on a bandsaw with fine toothed none-too-sharp blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If you're lining the inside of a plywood box, have you considered acoustic foam? I bought some on the bay for reline the motor cover of a Fein vac. One side was self adhesive and it makes a substantial difference even if I had to 'resaw' it to 3/8" to make the thickness work. It's surprising how well reasonably dense foam cuts on a bandsaw with fine toothed none-too-sharp blade.
    When researching the type of sound reduction material to use, I settled on the dense Roxul Rockboard instead of a foam. Consensus appears to be that density is what counts when trying to reduce sound transmission "through" the material. So I already got the Rockboard.

Thanks. Every idea counts,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike sato View Post
    When researching the type of sound reduction material to use, I settled on the dense Roxul Rockboard instead of a foam. Consensus appears to be that density is what counts when trying to reduce sound transmission "through" the material. So I already got the Rockboard.

Thanks. Every idea counts,
    Mike
    Use what ya got, I'm the same way. I helped a guy move a couple hearing testing booths and learned a bit about sound transmission in the process. They used layers of dry wall with separators between, I don't remember the details there. Then lined the booth with acoustic foam. Not all foam is created equal, apparently. My experience with the Fein vac foam backs that up, huge difference made by a pretty thin layer of acoustic foam surrounding the motor/blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Use what ya got, I'm the same way. I helped a guy move a couple hearing testing booths and learned a bit about sound transmission in the process. They used layers of dry wall with separators between, I don't remember the details there. Then lined the booth with acoustic foam. Not all foam is created equal, apparently. My experience with the Fein vac foam backs that up, huge difference made by a pretty thin layer of acoustic foam surrounding the motor/blower.
    Thanks for sharing your info. It all helps in trying to understand sound reduction techniques.

Mike