Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best way to cut thousands of rectangular dowels?

Also moving the fence repeatedly to get a 1/4 inch exactly sounds like a recipe for disaster. Even using an incra positioner would worry me keeping it accurate and be a pain. I cut 1/4 inch stock by 3/4 for trim all of the time on the table saw and never have any problems doing it that way. Set the fence once and don't move it.

I don't see the issue of using the table saw. Run your board through the planner to get the 1/2 in thickness, and then set your table saw for a tad over 1/4 inch rip. Use a push block that fits over the wood and the blade, (that you can saw into) and make the cut. Not all that unsafe. Cut your boards short enough to handle easily, 2 - 3 feet.

Then lay them down side by side, and run them through the planner to make them 1/4 inch. no fussies, no problem.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

3. I think it would help if you gave us all the details. What are the exact dimensions of the final piece you are looking for?

If you don't need a 6 foot long dowel, I would not try to cut a 6 foot long dowel to a small dimension. If you have a good table saw and good technique, table saw cuts should only need a light sanding to be good to go after cutting.

I'm not sure why you are set on doing them with your bandsaw. That's ok. The job still isn't a long one. You can still produce about a thousand an hour without resorting to tall stacks which will reduce accuracy. Good luck. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Is no one else wondering why he needs thousands of small square pegs?

Giant Jenga

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    I'm not sure why you are set on doing them with your bandsaw. That's ok. The job still isn't a long one. You can still produce about a thousand an hour without resorting to tall stacks which will reduce accuracy. Good luck. Cheers
    To put into round holes

Use a bread slicer

OP needs to tell what size dimensional tolerance is allowed for finished pieces.

IF it's critical, as may be the case depending on final use, it's possible it would be a disaster doing it "in House"

Also, will they need a vibrated tumbled deburr procedure, or will he hire the Neighborhood to do on their front porches ?

Maybe best off handing off to a Sub such as Jamie sed in Post #.

Just thinking out loud, Marc

How bout this w a custom cutter ?

Note - Lunch NOT included
    Attached Images Attached Images

And don't forget the Highway Hypnosis effect side of repeated repetitive repeats repetitively repeated.

Your mind will wander from "Tell yourself there's only 1,971 remaining to cut" to "Why did I take this Job ? to "What's for Supper", and ooops, there goes that finger !

Marc