Thread: Box Elder Bowl

Box Elder Bowl

I turned this box elder today and did some playing with the new texturing tool I got last weekend at the Woodcraft sale. The bowl is 6-1/2" x 2-3/4" and is 3/16" thick and is buffed with the 3 wheels. Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

2. Nice bowl, Dick! At first I didn't really like it - not that I disliked it - just couldn't make up my mind that I really liked it. But the more I look at it the better I do like it - more and more.

Are you dizzy with me yet?

It's something new and different and I love that!

Thanks for the picture!

Oooh, very nice Dick! I see that I will need to add that toy to my list...

Very nice Dick. I like the texturing very much. I have a new needle scaler to try texturing a bowl with, just haven't worked up the nerve. I like the form, the texturing, the wood and the finish. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting Dick, the new tool presents quite a pleasing look. It gives the bowl a Danish look, anyway to me it looks that way. Works well with the wood and form you have chosen. Very, Very nice.
    I could get slammed for this, But John seemed to accomplish something similar and he doesn't have any special tools.

Great work Dick,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nice Bowl Dick!
    Looks Like you like your new tool pretty good huh?
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Cool, Dick. Did you watch the Sorby video on using that tool? I don't have the tool but I have the video. When I was at Woodcraft Monday, I looked at that tool, but I would only allow myself to buy one tool and that ended up being the Multi-tool. I did buy a beading bit for it, but I justified that by telling myself that the bit wasn't really another tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    Nice bowl, Dick! At first I didn't really like it - not that I disliked it - just couldn't make up my mind that I really liked it. But the more I look at it the better I do like it - more and more.
    Are you dizzy with me yet?
    It's something new and different and I love that!
    Thanks for the picture!
    Wow Mark,
    I don't know if I like it or if I don't like it now.....I'm just so confused.!!!

Dick,

Very nice and the texture really adds a new dimension to the bowl. What is the texturing tool and how is it used? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

After your candle holder try-out I was anxious to see what you'd do on something else. I think it looks very nice Dick! My High School Art teacher was real big on texturing pottery and she taught me an appreciation for it. I think in this case, you used just the right amount so it doesn't take away from the beauty of the wood and adds highlight to the simpicity of the form. Nice touch!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thumbs up

Oh yea! I really like this one Dick. Beautiful shape, the texturing really sets it off. Great job!

Ditto to all the above. Great lookin'

Bruce

Great bowl, I see you are putting the DVR through a tough workout.
    I really like the texture, been messing around with carving myself and need to get another grinder(proxxon mini). hopefully I can get it at the costa mesa show.
    and if the texturing tool is there, i might just have to get it.

sascha

Dick,

Ya been a busy boy! Great bowl - love that texturing. Like Dennis said, how's it done. Not that I'm going to try it, just curious as to how you do that!

It really adds something to your work - not that anything needed adding, but such a neat different character it takes on. Kewl!!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt