IÂ’m adding a bedroom suite to my house and my wife is getting the walk in closet she badly needs - 11 by 7 with a small window. My contractor budgeted a hefty 4K for the closet system and I thought that was outrageous but welcomed the credit to be used elsewhere. Then I started to price out pretty basic systems online and itÂ’s at least 3k or more for 2 units on the 11 foot wall sections. And that is using all composit materials with band edging.

Now i I donÂ’t need anything fancy in my closet and IÂ’m sure the veneered composit will hold up just fine. But the woodworker in me is having a really hard time with this given the absolute simplicity of the construction. IÂ’m just looking at a few shelving units, 5 drawers, and then 2 side panels to hold the clothes rods.

i figure even if I use walnut plywood and then make a face frame out of walnut IÂ’m only a couple hundred in materials. I then buy the drawers online and put a walnut face on them too. ItÂ’s just a bunch of rabbets and dados and I can use screws for most of it. Plus itÂ’ll be secured to studs in the wall so I donÂ’t have to overbuild either.

Am am I just crazy to think this is a 4 day weekend type of project for a few hundred in materials? If so IÂ’d be left with something far superior to the cheesy looking veneer composit systems they are selling and saving 2k in the process.

Welcome more sage and reasonable advice...