Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kerf marks?

Regardless of what machine cuts the edge, there will always be "some" marking. A high-quality saw blade that's sharp and a cut with the material clamped to a moving table on the saw will be "really good" and likely able to be refined easily with just sanding. An edge off of the jointer may also be "really good", but the rotation of the cutter head (even with a spiral cutter) will still leave some barely perceptible scalloping that can usually be sanded away. The only "nearly perfect" edge is going to come from a remarkably sharp hand plane used by a skilled worker. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi, when I use a feeder on the saw the cuts are perfect, when I hand feed, not so much.

It makes me think that consistency is more important than the blade or machine.

I'm using a 24 tooth FS tools blade on a Hammer B3..................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    It makes me think that consistency is more important than the blade or machine.
    Absolutely true. With that material clamped down on the wagon, even a "construction grade" blade will give a reasonably good cut (except on the exit side unless you run a scoring blade in front of it) since the material doesn't waver at all through the entire cut. Perfect like glass? No. But pretty darn good. The same principle applies to track saws since they bring more consistency to the cut...although there's more "wiggle room" (literally) if one isn't careful as compared to material clamped to a moving table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check your side clearance variance.
    Side clearance - how far the edge of the tooth sticks our from the steel saw body.
    Obviously every tooth should stick out the same amount. Not always true. Sometimes you will see differences as great as 0.010".
    Good blades now run + / - 0.0005"
    The fully automatic, high precision grinders can do it. They have to be maintained and programmed properly.
    e.g. The tooth immediately behind the expansion slot has to ground up instead of down. When you grind up you have to reverse the wheel direction.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...c&action=click
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.