Thread: Dado shim placement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dado shim placement

Most of the instruction manuals for dado blades advise that you spread your shims throughout the stack, which makes sense, and yet I've read posts saying to place the shims between the last chipper and the outside blade, that way you only have to remove one blade to add or subtract shims.That also makes sense. Some have qualified this by saying that if their shims add up to more than 0.03" then they spread them. Then I thought about how Freud's SD 608 stack works. It still uses normal chippers but no shims with an adjustable wheel on the outside blade that increases or decreases (by an audible click) the width by 0.004" which in reality is equivalent to adding shims between the last chipper and the outside blade on a typical stack.

I realise that too many shims between a chipper and the next blade might mean scoring/grooves on the flat part of the cut and possible shim damage etc but I really like the idea of only having to remove the outside blade to access the shims, particularly if I'm only using one or two shims. BTW I just purchased the Freud SD 508.

How many of you do exactly that? If so, have you used more than 2 shims?
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 10-20-2017 at 10:51 PM.