Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Shop Improvement Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    especially given I plan on spending a lot more time in the shop going forward.

So Jim why are you going to be spending more time in the shop? Are you retiring?
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 11-10-2017 at 9:57 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

looks good Jim, and just in time too. Chilly out today!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    looks good Jim, and just in time too. Chilly out today!
    Yes, for sure, it's chilly. I left the heater on "low" last night just for grins and it was still about 55ºF this morning when we were leaving for Wegmans.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    So Jim why are you going to be spending more time in the shop? Are you retiring?
    Don, I retired from full time work effective 1 October. I will likely be doing something part time after a few months of "chilling out", but haven't decided what yet outside of avoiding work in the telecom and iT industry since I already did my 38 years across multiple employers; the last for 21 years. Hopefully, it will be something fun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... haven't decided what yet outside of avoiding work in the telecom and iT industry since I already did my 38 years across multiple employers; the last for 21 years. Hopefully, it will be something fun.
    I know just the thing - a llama ranch! No technology needed beyond an electric fence charger. Fun guaranteed. Plenty of wood-related activity.

Lots of social interaction, llamas bring people from all over. I took a friend to the ER last night for x-rays after a fall. (nothing broken) The discharge nurse now plans to come take a llama for a walk, a lifelong dream. I've had three requests to bring llamas to parades and things so far.

And a farm is guaranteed to provide an outlet for all that extra money you don't know what to do with.

JKJ

There are others in the area that have the Llama thing covered quite nicely. And Emus. And....and...
    --

Ok, I'm done. The last part was lining the left side of the stairway...I have a ton of respect for carpenters who have to do this kind of thing a lot more than me! Of course, the interesting part about me doing it was the combined use of a sliding table saw, a track saw and a jig saw to take what a piece of paper, a tape measure, a drywall square and a pencil dictated and make it all actually fit a stairway that wasn't perfectly square.. Yup...not "fine woodworking" but done!! It's now time to start a commissioned project as well as do a few others on my "list".

IMG_1284.jpg

Oh, and despite the cold night temps over the past few days from this cold snap, my heater set to the lowest setting kept the shop at no less than 50ºF overnight. I don't normally leave it on, but it was worth the experiment to see how it worked.
    --