Thread: Question on Attaching Casters to Torsion Box

Question on Attaching Casters to Torsion Box

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a wood cart and I'm almost ready to attach the casters. My question is about attaching the casters to the bottom of the torsion box. I've got the torsion box framed out with 2x4s with a sheet of 3/4 plywood on the bottom, is it recommended to place the casters as far to the edge of the plywood as possible and use lag bolts to go straight into the 2x4s or is there a different way the casters should be attached?

Thanks for the help!
    Steve

Attach some square blocks in the corners prior to attaching the top skin. Than way you have some solid material to attach the caster plates.
    Size the blocks to provide each bolt/screw some strong mounting.

Blog Entries
    You may want to keep the casters in from the edge just enough that when they swivel they won't protrude past the edge.

If the casters have a fairly large plate, putting 3 appropriately sized screws into the center of the 2x4 and the fourth into the plywood will be very strong.
    Quality screws that go all the way thru the 2x4 and a tee nut for the fourth in the plywood can exceed the capacity of a decent caster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    You may want to keep the casters in from the edge just enough that when they swivel they won't protrude past the edge.
    Unless they are locking casters and you need them to protrude enough to be able to lock them.