Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StewMac scrapers

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    What a different feel from the card scrapers - though I can see me using both.
    I used both on the olive piece I'm working on (finished turning it today.

The StewMac scrapers took of wood much quicker which enabled me to remove some tool marks and undulations near the wings get the shape in the center of the top right with less work with the NRS and shear scrapers I'd use otherwise. Then I used a full-sized thin cabinet scraper with a shallow radius ground on one side, just a bit shallower than the inside curvature. This took off extremely fine shavings and made quick work of getting the entire curve perfect - then I hit it with 320 and 400 paper with a palm ROS and some hand sanding with a soft sanding block. I think it's about ready for finish now.

I've been using the thin scrapers for a long time now - these thick scrapers are a fantastic complement to the thin ones. No wonder people who make violins and such like them!

JKJ

I do a fair amount of heat treat at work with a Paragon furnace for precipitation hardening stainless grades and some O1 machinist tooling.
    our furnace was very reasonably priced, the normal catalog even more so in smaller "knife-smith" sizes
    I have had excellent results on D2 and O1 using foil wrap, optional Argon gas inlet
    Next run I will have to sneak in some extra stock for scrapers or a knife

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pollin View Post
    I do a fair amount of heat treat at work with a Paragon furnace for precipitation hardening stainless grades and some O1 machinist tooling.
    our furnace was very reasonably priced, the normal catalog even more so in smaller "knife-smith" sizes
    I have had excellent results on D2 and O1 using foil wrap, optional Argon gas inlet
    Next run I will have to sneak in some extra stock for scrapers or a knife
    Pat, Those furnaces look good. A friend of mine has one he said I could borrow. The prices seem reasonable if I end up doing a lot of this.

I admit to never hearing about Argon purge. It Argon useful when treating O1? I have argon argon/CO2 mix, and nitrogen gas.

JKJ

Hi John,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Life got in the way, planted like an offensive lineman in front of the shop door.

Here’s an idea for a scraper design. My thought was to have more of a handle shape that might add some advantage to reaching into a bowl. The shape of radius A and the adjacent curves should be easy to adjust as needed.

Thoughts?

scraper-gif.gif
    RD

Hi John,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Life got in the way, planted like an offensive lineman in front of the shop door.
    Ha! I had that lineman here for eight months this year! I can't remember ever being this far behind...

I got the picture. I'll see what I can do. It will prob be mid January before I can play with this so if you decide on any refinements send another picture. (Send it to my email though the SMC PM function so I won't be as likely to miss it!)

Another option for holding might be put some holes in the steel before hardening then mount it on a handle. Sorby does this for their little teardrop scrapers intended for use with the lathe spinning but the same idea may work for hand held as well. My only concern would be positioning the scraper various ways inside, something I find I need to do often. For that reason a small scraper might be better, handheld or on some kind of articulated handle.

I like the large curve on your drawing. I have a curved one that I use a lot on every shallow dished platter I make. It's the one on the left in this picture. I used it on the dish of a cedar piece just a this week. Scraping let me go directly from plenty of tool marks to 600 grit sandpaper. I'll post photos later when I get the final finish done.

scrapers_.jpg

I'm going to try to duplicate that one with the 1/8" steel. (I bought three 18" lengths so I can experiment a lot!)

JKJ

Honestly the StewMac shapes are very adaptable and I've been pleased wth their versatility.

Seems like an actual handle would be great but I figured it would need to be removable or it would need a jig to raise the scraper off the grinder support. Maybe something like a flat hot dog plane handle? Allen screw to tighten. It wouldn't need to be super secure since this is designed to be used with the lathe off.

Probably I'm overthinking it (who me?) - a decent piece of leather might do as well.
    RD

...Seems like an actual handle would be great but I figured it would need to be removable or it would need a jig to raise the scraper off the grinder support. Maybe something like a flat hot dog plane handle? Allen screw to tighten. It wouldn't need to be super secure since this is designed to be used with the lathe off.
    I don't know what a flat hot dog plane is but I thought about trying threaded holes in one to fasten a handle with a flat head screw. My fingers sometimes cramp up if I hold something small for too long so I might experiment with some larger grips.

JKJ

My comment was the last one up on that video... Old one. I would bet that with the micro grained carbide burnishing rods, you could burnish a burr on them, while the guy in the video says you can't do that. No problems doing it on M42 and V10.

robo hippy

The hot dog is a handle attached to a plane to make it easier to use on it's side - usually for a shooting board.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...le-jack-plane-

So I was thinking of a similar, flat design to make a removable scraper handle. But again, probably too much effort for the return.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RD

Reed

I can't see why this would not work.
    Doing a touchup at the lathe rather than going back to the grinder saves time. Of course if I had your tool rest that would make quick set-ups easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    My comment was the last one up on that video... Old one. I would bet that with the micro grained carbide burnishing rods, you could burnish a burr on them, while the guy in the video says you can't do that. No problems doing it on M42 and V10.

robo hippy
    RD