Hello everyone,

I recently installed a KB electronics (model KBAC-24D) VFD on my Oliver 2159 wood lathe. I bypassed the starter and a microswitch in the headstock of the lathe, and I am 99% sure I installed the VFD correctly. I bought this particular VFD because it does not need to be programmed and the adjustments are analogue.

Everything works as it should.
The only only issue I have is that the lathe motor makes a high pitched whine, that is very annoying, that I still hear with ear protection.

I contacted KB electronics and a tech at the company where I bought the drive and they mentioned adjusting the slip compensation and the boost trim pots in the VFD.
I did that and it seems like it made some improvement, but the whine is definitely still there.
The carrier frequency adjustment is factory set to 16 kilohertz on the VFD, so I can't adjust that.

The tech I spoke with told me a newer motor would work better with the drive... mentioning a Marathon micromax 1 hp inverter duty motor.

(I suppose I could also install a single phase motor on this lathe, however this lathe has a reeves drive that only goes down to 1000 rpm's and without the VFD I would loose the ability to slow the lathe down for bowl turning)

If I replaced the old motor with this new motor do you think it would solve the noise problem?
It seems a little overkill, partly because this is not an easy motor to replace...
but I plan on using this lathe a lot in my lifetime, and I know the noise will drive me crazy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Andrew