Thread: Mortice depth issue?

Mortice depth issue?

Hello,

I'm working on an upper cabinet that utilizes morticed butt hinges. The initial assembly resulted in doors that swing fine but will not stay closed. Though I did not see any contact between the door and frame I assume there is binding that causes them to spring open a couple inches. Am I correct in assuming that perhaps I have morticed them too deep? If so and I need to shim them what is the favorable material to shim with, paper? Thanks in advance for your help, this is obviously one of those issues that illustrates I still have lots to learn but then that's why I'm here!

Stuart

You can use a piece of paper to locate the bind by slipping a strip between door and frame and seeing where the paper is grabbed. For shims cut business cards or 3 x 5 cards to size. Binding can also occur between the door and stops.
    Last edited by Roger Nair; 11-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Roger, I'll try the business cards. Guess I have an afternoon of trial and error!

Blog Entries
    I have recovered a fouled hinge mortise by actually cutting it deeper and then shimming it back with cut-to-size pieces of old gift cards. If your mortise is actually too deep, teh cards are generally about 1/32" thick with others being thinner. If you have a large collection like I do you can probably find just the right fit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler