Thread: Source for pushbutton station components

Source for pushbutton station components

I want to make a pendant mounted remote PB station for the sliding table saw (so I don't have to crawl under a sheet of plywood when its loaded). I want Start/Stop/E-Stop pushbuttons in a plastic 3-button box that I can hang from the ceiling above the saw. The contacts need to be rated for 24 VDC control circuit. Anyone have a good source for these parts?

McMaster Carr has a good selection of industrial rated switches. They also have switches pre-mounted in small enclosures that might be just what you need. They won't be cheap, but their web site makes it really easy to find just what you want.

DigiKey would be another source I could recommend.

Factorymation is another source. I’ve bought a few VFD’s from them and they have excellent customer service.

Automation Direct. Good prices and great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    McMaster Carr has a good selection of industrial rated switches. They also have switches pre-mounted in small enclosures that might be just what you need. They won't be cheap, but their web site makes it really easy to find just what you want.

DigiKey would be another source I could recommend.
    Paul, McMaster-Carr was one of my first stops. Their specs (or lack) on the contacts did not include DC ratings, a non-starter.

Same problem here and looking forward to hearing the answers.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Gee, the few I checked under the pushbutton category all had DC ratings listed.....

It would seem a snapshot from any dual controlled slider panel would help you. I'd think it would be costly but if you want it bad enough I suppose it's worth it. Our slider has controls on the machine and at the end of the slider. If you want a few photos pm me.

Subscribing because I'm also interested in this for my slider...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keep in mind some may have three phase machines as mine is.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Ebay used American made. At 24 volts and low amps any industrial switch is good enough. A pendant box tends to cost a little more. I would buy the box below and change switches if needed. Many operators come with two switch blocks installed NO and NC. And you can add more if needed. Lighted off switches are nice. just make sure they are the correct voltage.
    With LED bulbs you have a wider range of working voltages. The one I put on my lathe is something like 108-240 volts.
    Since I added a mushroom off switch on my Unisaw I think I have used my hand to turn it off less the ten times in as many years.
    Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-D-Type-RK-2C-Class-9001-Push-Button-Control-Station-Start-Stop-Open-Close/222649236915?hash=item33d6edbdb3:g:dA8AAOSwAypZsJv V

This looks like you can add one more switch?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SQUARE-D-90...MAAMXQuCdThixS
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-05-2017 at 9:20 PM.

If you are going to the trouble of adding an extra push button station think about adding an extra stop switch or two. Maybe on the back end or side of the saw. maybe a foot operated switch or rope pull.
    I would probably cheap out and mount the control box I linked to a small piece of plywood and hang the plywood with a steel cable from the ceiling. The cord can be clamped to the wood. rather then the cord supporting any weight.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I want Start/Stop/E-Stop pushbuttons in a plastic 3-button box that I can hang from the ceiling above the saw.
    Hi James, on your machine, what's the difference between stop and E-stop?

On mine, there's no difference except that the E-stop button is a maintained open.

I would not include E-stop in a pendant control if there is no difference in the function of the machine.

I have ordered operators, contacts and pilot lamps from Factorymation, they provided fast service for me.............Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-06-2017 at 9:03 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

James, just because the contacts don't have a DC rating doesn't mean they aren't serviceable. You aren't starting the motor directly from the switch, you are energizing a small high resistance coil. Too, have you checked to make sure the control is DC? Just because it is 24V doesn't mean the circuit is DC. Most mfrs. won't go to the added expense of installing a rectifier unless there is another need for a DC source.
    HTH,
    Rollie