Thread: DIY Air Cleaner - What kind of filters?

DIY Air Cleaner - What kind of filters?

I'm building my first air cleaner. Got this blower off of CL. It's 1/2 hp and 8 amps. Dimensions are about 16" x 18" x 13." What type of filters should I be using and what size? Suggested sources would be helpful too. I want to have the filters in hand before I build the case. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made one using a blower such as yours. I just used 2 regular 1" furnace filters (2 on each side layered up) on 2 sides. That makes sense? I built my box to double as a sander stand, (12" disk sander and oscillating spindle sander), because I didn't have any room to hang it. Put it on wheels as all things are.

Sucks through the double filters and exits out the bottom. Its quiet and fairly efficient. When the outside filter gets plugged, I remove it and place a new on behind the one that used to be in the back.

My fan was off a house furnace (free as the neighbour was changing their furnace!) and have been pretty happy with it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I was thinking that I should buy one of those plated bag type filters that Wynn Env sells. I assume that those catch more fine dust than the furnace filters I can get at my hardware store.

I like your idea of having the cleaner double as a work surface. Bringing it closer to the dust seems like a good idea.

Or how about a cleanable canister type filter like this one? https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...-BF1FA0D012DB} More expensive but higher efficiency and cleanable so I would not need to buy replacements.

Would a furnace blower have enough power to move air through one of these or would I need something with more hp?

I live outside of Syracuse so I could probably go pick this one up and save on shipping too.

I made an air cleaner using a similar squirrel cage blower. The plans were from Shop Notes. It uses 3 12x24" furnace filters. I would check out those plans.

Seems as though I saw Hepa rated furnace filters at the BORG.

I did the same as Prashun. I made the filter box the same size as my house so I always had a supply of filters. Used from the house went into the shop filter.

Tom Clark in his book Practical Shop Cabinets used a Purolater Mark 80 filter 16x20x4 inches. It is a pleated filter like the innards of a Jet dust collector. The 80 has has been replaced by the 80D. Tom had been cleaning 1 filter for 14 years. I doubt the "improved" model will last that long. Tough part is finding someone to sell you just 1 or 2. Cartons of 6 go for $100+/- depending on size.
    IMPORTANT: get the filter you are using before you build. Sizes are nominal, 16x20 might be 15 1/2 by 19 1/4.