Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basket Weave Illusion design software?

Basket Weave Illusion design software?

I am looking for a software program to design patterns for plates & hollow forms hopefully a good program that's not to expensive any suggestions would be helpful.

I think that this is where your creativity comes into play. You can search books on Native American baskets and pottery for inspiration. You can also search online and find some ideas.
    Bill

Vectric Aspire has the capability to design and CNC machine basket weave projects but its probably a bit to expensive. You might be able to connect with one of our CNC Router operators here who can produce the files you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    I think that this is where your creativity comes into play. You can search books on Native American baskets and pottery for inspiration. You can also search online and find some ideas.
    Creativity that's what I need where can I buy some of that I have been looking at books and the internet also thanks for the sugestions .

Bill is correct. Do your research, decide the story you want to tell, and then do some layout sketches. I use a free online program to print concentric circular graph paper to do designs for my bowl lids. Most of the fun in doing them is in the planning and design. I don’t think one would have the same level of enjoyment with a graphics program. Just my thoughts.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I am looking for a software program to design patterns for plates & hollow forms hopefully a good program that's not to expensive any suggestions would be helpful.
    I don't know of any specific for that. The Segment Pro software might work for the design - you can create any profile apply patterns. I've got it loaded but I don't know if it will create enough segments to simulate the basket illusion. A guy in one of the clubs I attend not only does segmented pieces but also does basket illusion pieces - if you want me to I could ask if he things this software will work or if he knows of something better.

JKJ

The problem I see with software is that designs normally are indexed radially. Some folks do pieces that appear more like beadwork than coiled basketry. To me, Harvey Meyers’ work is like that. Others mimic coiled basketry, which I prefer. Either way, one needs to take into account the fluctuating surface on the form. I don’t know how a software program could design around any specific form, but then, I have never looked into that method of layout.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't know of any specific for that. The Segment Pro software might work for the design - you can create any profile apply patterns. I've got it loaded but I don't know if it will create enough segments to simulate the basket illusion. A guy in one of the clubs I attend not only does segmented pieces but also does basket illusion pieces - if you want me to I could ask if he things this software will work or if he knows of something better.

JKJ
    If you don't mind check with your friend about the software. What i had in mind was something i could play with to come up with designs and maybe it would mirror the designs so I would not have to draw the same thing more than once something that would allow me to see the design complete and how it would fit a project. I just need a little help with visualizing the end product

If you don't mind check with your friend about the software. What i had in mind was something i could play with to come up with designs and maybe it would mirror the designs so I would not have to draw the same thing more than once something that would allow me to see the design complete and how it would fit a project. I just need a little help with visualizing the end product
    Will do. Did you look at the pictures at the bottom of the Segment Pro page? http://woodturnerpro.com/software/segmentpro.htm

Take a class with Harvey and he will fix you up.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Will do. Did you look at the pictures at the bottom of the Segment Pro page? http://woodturnerpro.com/software/segmentpro.htm
    I looked at the link that might be an option but not sure it has a lot of options but not sure I would use much of them. I was hoping to find something cheaper but may have to pony up for it. I have really become intrigued by the whole basket weave look. Thanks for your help.

Harvey uses Graph Paper Maker, I think, but you still need to decide which section to color.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I looked at the link that might be an option but not sure it has a lot of options but not sure I would use much of them. I was hoping to find something cheaper but may have to pony up for it. I have really become intrigued by the whole basket weave look. Thanks for your help.
    I sent an email to my friend and asked if it would work. I don't have it loaded on this computer so I can't check for myself. (I guess I thought the price was reasonable, but I guess I'm comparing to professional software. I sold two motorcycles once to help pay for a $3000 3D modeling package. )

I also asked if he knew of any software that would be applicable to the basket illusion. Also, you might try emailing Harvey Meyer. He's always replied when I had a question.

JKJ

My friend Rod replied:

I have used the radial graph paper to lay out my patterns. I have not tried to use Segment Pro but I think that it is possible. I start with an actual American Indian basket and count the patterns. Then figure how many squares it will take for each pattern. Meaning, how many rings and how many repeats.

JKJ

Thanks I don't think the price is to high i am just not sure how well it would work for what I wanted thank you and your friend for you your. I sent an email to Harvey Meyer and he responded with a couple of sugestions.