Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Obsession?

Hand tools are significantly more obsessive. I have a thing for coffin smoothers. Old irons take and keep an incredible edge and theyre often found for around 10$. I'm afraid to count how many ive acquired.

I am in the process of paring down the herd. I am as tool obsessed as the next guy. However, I am finding even more joy in trying to make do with fewer tools.

The irony is that I am inspired this way by a friend I am helping to teach. Challenged with making a groove in a box for a drawer bottom, before I could give him the router plane, he just did it with a chisel. And darn well.

in a year, he has done more with my old pair of narex chisels, a bailey jack, discarded shooting board, shark pull saw and dozuki z saw than I can. And I have a decade head start on him.

I have a history and the luxury of looking to the next tool to make me a little better. He however, makes work what he has.

I'm envious of this.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-11-2017 at 9:46 AM.

Wives can often put the necessary damper on things, ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Joseph, welcome to the club & welcome to Sawmill Creek! The only criteria I've ever used for a new power tool is if I have a need and enough room for it. At some point I ran out of room!
    That's me to a "T" except I refuse to give up. I'm exploring ways of stacking tools in the unused ceiling space.

Suspending a SuperMax 16-32 from the ceiling wouldn't be weird, would it?

Originally Posted by Rick Potter
    Glen is right. It's when you have four radial arm saws, that you should think about getting help with your 'problem'.

Daniel O'Connell:
    Phew, I only have three....

Me:
    I had three but after a self intervention I'm down to two.

These replies are cute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    Wives can often put the necessary damper on things, ....
    That's when you build something nice for them...

Yeah, but what happens when it's the WIFE who has the tool obsession?!? And the husband doesn't care, as long as it doesn't overflow into his space!

Seriously, though, don't go down the hand plane rabbit hole. I just spent a day in antique shops last week and came home with 5 planes. And three chisels. and some files...
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!