Thread: Dollhouse pics

Smile Dollhouse pics

Here's a project that I have been working with my kids on lately. I made this Dollhouse for my 6-year-old daughter for her birthday (about a month ago). The early construction was done with the help of my 3-year-old son and when I didn't finish by my daughter's birthday, she helped me finish. It was fun and I think she'll get many years of play time out of it. Hopefully, if the kids don't destroy it, it will be in the family for a long time.

Other than the windows and doors that I purchased at the local hobby store, everything else was made in my shop. I realized quickly that my 14" bandsaw is way too big for this kind of stuff. I found some leftover shingles that the builders used for our house and cut them up into little squares to make the roof. The wallpaper is a mixture of stuff I found around the house and some shelf paper. The "playroom" at the top of the stairs is a collage of pictures of the family. I lacquered them so they will last a while. The colors were picked out by my daughter so, even if they don't exactly match, they are what she wanted.

Enjoy. I'd be interested in what you think of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Ernie the house looks great. Don't ya just love the help.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That is really neat Ernie. I'm sure your daughter will have many wonderful hours playing with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Kooool Ernie. But it looks like you left the lights on in the upstairs bedroom
    Great project to do with your son & daughter. The house looks great. I like the different wall papered rooms and stairs.....and the roof. I bet Mr. Becker will be building one of these soon....

Good point, John...I suppose I might get a request for one at some point!'

Ernie, that's really a kewel setup. The hinge idea is great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

doll house

Looks great. I have had people ask me about them . Did you use a plan or your own idea? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton
    Looks great. I have had people ask me about them . Did you use a plan or your own idea? Mike
    Mike:

I looked at a bunch of pictures and had did my own version. I measured the basic dimensions of a dollhouse at the hobby shop, just so I'd have the scale right. Most of the dollhouses I looked at had an open back, without a hinge but, I just liked this way better. I figured that lighting would have to be good to see any details in an open-back one (I may, one day, run wires in this one).

Now I have enough projects to do with my daughter for a long time- it needs a lot of furniture. I made a toilet, sink, and shower for the bathroom but haven't put them in yet.

If anyone is interested in copying it, I'll be happy to take some measurements and detailed pictures.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Hey Ernie - looks great!! I'm sure your daughter will treasure it for years to come.

A few years ago, I was asked to make a project for my son's school fund raiser. They asked me to make a dollhouse. Even though I didn't have a daugher, I agreed to make one. After research, I determined that I didn't want a 1:12 scale, but a 1:6 scale would be much better for playing, and Barbie dolls could be used. So, I made one. http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/...dollhouse.html

Todd.

Todd:

I like the one you made. Nice idea about having the front coners fold away for access. Was that your idea or had you seen it done before?

I considered the use of Barbie dolls when making mine- Although I used a 1:12 scale, I made the rooms oversized so they would fit, although tight. The ceilings are 11" high. Total dimensions are around: 30" wide and 21" deep (I'll measure it exactly today sometime).
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

doll house

Yes I would like to see them Mike

Very nice, your daughter will definitely enjoy it.