Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good excuse to buy a Domino?????

Corey, I did opt for the 700 because I felt that it would provide "me" with the best utility overall, but from the get-go, I wanted to get the Seneca setup for those times when smaller was the right choice. I scored the Seneca kit on Saturday at a Woodworking Shows event in NJ with a show discount and ordered the Festool DF500 assortment with cutters from Amazon.de on Sunday. (the cost of the Seneca kit and the Festool assortment with cutters from Germany cost about the same as buying just the domino assortment with cutters in the US)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. I've RMA'd the 500, and about to order the 700 with the Seneca kit. I'll snag another domino assortment for the 700 off amazon.de It worked well last time, and does save quite a bit of coin.

Yea, I was really surprised at the cost difference for the DF500 assortment...I knew there would be a difference, but didn't expect that much difference! It literally payed for almost all of the Seneca kit, even after shipping cost.
    --

https://www.taytools.com/loose-tenons/

Quite a bit cheaper than the Festool ones and the quality is good. Just wish they had a few more sizes.

Holbren sells CMT bits for these tools. I’ve had excellent luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, I was really surprised at the cost difference for the DF500 assortment...I knew there would be a difference, but didn't expect that much difference! It literally payed for almost all of the Seneca kit, even after shipping cost.
    I want to say I saved almost 140 ordering from amazon.de rather than Amazon.com. I will go broke if I keep saving so much money.

Going forward, I will probably just get dominos on an as needed basis from taytools or another site that has the sizes I need in bulk.

Thx, I wasn't aware of the CMT bits, I just paid triple that for some Festool ones.

Face, meet palm.

Jim, have you tried out the Seneca adapter for the 700? I would prefer the 6mm cutter for my XL which Seneca used to offer, but it doesn't seem to be available any longer. They continue to show it on their website. Does anyone know if they will be producing any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    Jim, have you tried out the Seneca adapter for the 700? I would prefer the 6mm cutter for my XL which Seneca used to offer, but it doesn't seem to be available any longer. They continue to show it on their website. Does anyone know if they will be producing any more?
    I literally just bought it last weekend at The Woodworking Shows event in Secaucus, NJ, so no, I haven't tried it out yet...I'm doing some shop renovation which included a Mini-Split install, insulation of the ceiling and an actual ceiling. And the smaller cutters still have to come from sunny Germany. I'm wondering if the 6mm 700XL cutter that Seneca milled down from an 8mm cutter was proving to be too fragile...they do warn about only using it when you actually need the depth and suggest the adapter with the 500 cutter for regular usage.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm wondering if the 6mm 700XL cutter that Seneca milled down from an 8mm cutter was proving to be too fragile...they do warn about only using it when you actually need the depth and suggest the adapter with the 500 cutter for regular usage.
    That would be a good argument for going with the adapter. I wonder why they continue to feature the 6mm cutter on their website as "sold out".