Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parallel Clamps worth it over Pipe Clamps? Jorgensen

I prefer pipe clamps for cutting boards. The only time I like parallel clamps is if I need the 3" depth. But for boards, pipe clamps:

engage easier,
    are easier to tighten
    are lighter
    are cheaper

I use a mallet while not too tight to help with alignment.

The biggest ease in production for me came when I realized that edge-grain cutting boards perform about as well as end-grain, and are a whole lot easier to make, sand, and finish. They seem to be appreciated equally by my recipients as the end grain boards, and I've never had one warp.

IMO parallel clamps are in investment only worthwhile for tricky glue ups like thin panels and cab doors. IF not applied just right you can have the same issues with bowing.

Pipe clamps work great you have to alternate them to cancel out non-parallel force directions (true with just about any clamp).

I've found it helps to make stand-offs so the panel doesn't lay directly on the bar/pipe. Simple 2x2's covered with packing tape (be sure there are dead flat).

Sometimes its not the clamps fault & cauls will not help if your edges aren't perfectly jointed. - make absolutely sure your glue edges are 90°.

Follow up on what Joe said, when jointing edges, alternate faces against the fence to cancel out any error off 90.

When clamping, don't over tighten and carefully check the surface for bowing. Adjust pressure on clamps as needed. If this doesn't work, your issue is probably a jointing error.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 11-16-2017 at 9:27 AM.