Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow - 11 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow - 11 years

I just noticed...

I've been here 11 years!

Impressive! They could only put up with me for 4 years of high school!!!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Carve cerevisiam! Cheers

Congrats!

It's actually pretty kewel how many folks have been community members for many, many years....some back to the very beginning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congratulations! That's longer than most marriages!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Rich, ya made me look. Coming up on 10 years later this month - heck, we were all young men “way back then”. . . . .

I will nine years in January.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Congratulation Gentlemen on your long membership here at The Creek. We will have our 15th anniversary this coming February...blink your eyes a few times and our 20th will be in view

I hope to have another major FreeStuff Drawing to celebrate our 15th AND unveil our new SawMill Creek Hall of Fame as well. We will have new software soon, that should make things interesting around here for awhile. I don't want you guys and gals to get bored

As of tomorrow I will have been a member here for 14 3/4 years (provided I counted the leap years correctly ) But then again I think I joined on Day 5

John

Keith,

What is the new software you eluded to?

Roger

Roger,

We have purchased Xenforo and have a test site installed so we can get acquainted with how everything works.

Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger
    The vBulletin version SMC has is "broken", and the "upgrade" isn't much better and also cannot do many things natively like Xenforo can. Xenforo was written by a bunch of folks who left the vBulletin team a few years ago when they got tired of all the problems. It's more stable, more extensible and pretty much works the same way from the end-user standpoint. No worries. I've already been through this conversion at another site I help moderate (different topic) and it went smoothly. And folks had pretty much instant, native support for the kinds of devices that they use today to interact, unlike with vBulletin.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim's right, we are running vBulletin version 4 which they have stopped offering support and security upgrades. We purchased version 5 and installed it as a test site and it had so many problems/bugs we wouldn't dare use it for The Creek. The current version 4.2.5 we are now running required our server adminstrator to correct a multitude of problems when he installed the upgrade.

Xenforo provides native support for mobile users which is a major improvement and since over 40% of our Members are connecting using mobile devices its important that we improve access for mobile users. There is a pretty long list of other improvements but the bottom line is that we can't move forward at this point with vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Rich, ya made me look. Coming up on 10 years later this month - heck, we were all young men “way back then”. . . . .

even 'way back' I was not young

I'm not much more than a toddler compared to you old heads. Congrats on your long tenure. I get a lot from all the knowledge here. Once in a while I even have a good idea to contribute. Keep things going Keith! Your doing a great job.