As a woodworker I am always conscientious about wood movement with my craft. When I lived in the US I never really saw much movement. I lived in Arizona, Oregon, and 1 mile from the Beach in San Diego. When I moved to Fiji I SAW WOOD MOVEMENT. Furniture that had never expanded or contracted such that it was visible now had significant movement. 8" dresser drawers expanded 1/2". So now I really worry about it.

I am looking at building a pedestal table. The entire table will be made with Mahogany as it is cheap here. I will glue up 2" thick boards to a width of approx 40" The pedestals will be of 4" thick stock, glued up to around 30" wide. The pedestals will be heavily carved so it will be 4" thick in the center, but taper down to 2" near the edges. ALL the grain will be running the same direction.

Since the top and pedestals are the type of wood, same grain direction and similar average thicknesses, Can I assume the table top and pedestal with expand and contract nearly identically? Hence I don't need to worry about wood movement for this design?

Thanks,