Thread: Here's what has me puzzled

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Either space is endless or it is simply living in a minute dot on the map of eternety

We have been given understanding by scientist that as we move away from the big bang, we were headed basically in one direction ever expanding its scope, creating a 'universe' , that doesn't really fly.

I think I've said before. I believe that God's universe expands in all directons infinitely. Atoms make our solar system. Groups of solar systems form galaxys. Those are the only examples we are aware of. But isn't it reasonable to suspect that pattern extends indefinately?
    I'm way above my pay grade talking about astronomy. All I know is what I see on Nova, other science shows and a little reading. What I understand is that Galaxies are growing more distant over time. This is confirmed by red shift (doppler) measurements. Not because they are hurtling away from us and each other but because the universe itself is expanding in all directions and the amount of matter maintains a fixed relationship to other matter. If the universe is still expanding it cannot be infinite. At least yet. Okay, after a little more thinking I guess one could say the universe IS infinite in that it occupies ALL space. Always has and always will regardless of how big or small the universe is, was or becomes. Even before the Big Bang it was infinite in that it occupied all space.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 11-21-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson