Thread: Craftsman Tablesaw Arbor

Craftsman Tablesaw Arbor

I have Model Number 113.299510 purchased new in November 1997. The arbor isn't the same diameter the blade fits right next to the flange but the diameter is smaller from there on out to the end of the shaft.

Does anyone know if Sears makes a shaft replacement that is the same size for the full length of the shaft?

If not I have a machine shop close by that won't charge me a whole lot to make another shaft that is the right diameter & 3/8" longer so I can put a full dado set on. I'll need to get another nut from a saw that has the same diameter shaft from end to end.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I would suggest giving your machine shop the business. Todd.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    I have Model Number 113.299510 purchased new in November 1997. The arbor isn't the same diameter the blade fits right next to the flange but the diameter is smaller from there on out to the end of the shaft.

Does anyone know if Sears makes a shaft replacement that is the same size for the full length of the shaft?

If not I have a machine shop close by that won't charge me a whole lot to make another shaft that is the right diameter & 3/8" longer so I can put a full dado set on. I'll need to get another nut from a saw that has the same diameter shaft from end to end.
    Bart, I know this isn’t much help but I recall this question coming up once or twice before and the answer was yes, Sears did come out with a replacement arbor. Sorry, I can't help with a part #.
    I agree with Todd, if you have a reasonably priced machine shop nearby, I’d have them make you a new one – that extra 3/8” could come in handy.

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you’re still a rat. -- Lily Tomlin
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don't

buy a shaft from Sears. I did, and the improvement was the clip that held the bearing on the shaft! $70 down the tubes. As far as the shaft diameter goes, I don't think I had that problem. I could get a 3/4" stack on shaft as long as I didn't use the Belleville washer. My problem was a grove in a dato as a result of one of the chippers falling into a ill-designed thread pattern - there is a valley next to the flange that allows the left-most chipper to settle. That's why I bought the replacement shaft only to find out that the improvement wasn't what I thought.

I fixed the valley problem by applying some J&B Weld, letting it cure, removing the blade and using emery cloth, while the shaft was spinning and sanding the weld flush with the outer diameter of the shaft. Result! Flat bottomed datoes! It lasted for the two years I still owned it. I sold it with the fix and as far as I know it's still running fine.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1