Thread: looking for side entry drilling jig

looking for side entry drilling jig

i would like to drill some equally spaced holes into the side of a bowl. Does anyone have any pictures or a link on how to build a jig to do this
    Thanks
    Al

If your lathe has indexing, then perhaps just attach a drill guide (purchased or made) to the toolpost. I suppose that you could take a steel shaft the diameter of your tool post and drill it (perpendicular to the length of the shaft) to the diameter that you want to drill.

David Reed Smith has plans for a nice jig for side drilling. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articl...drillguide.htm

Allan: Oneway has a drilling jig. If you want to make your own, it may give you design ideas.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Allan: Oneway has a drilling jig. If you want to make your own, it may give you design ideas.
    If you do make your own I reccommend making the base so that it clamps to the lathe ways and you add a 4 way macro camera slider. The 4 way is a camera cross slide that will allow you to adjust the drill right and left, along with forward and backward movement. The better ones have a nice and accurate scale so you can do repeatable operations. I have gotten some god ones for less than $20. You have to remember, they are not made for this, so if you attempt to use it as a cross slide like on a lathe for cutting purposes you may not get what you expected.

thanks for the replies. I went with the Oneway drill wizard
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    thanks for the replies. I went with the Oneway drill wizard
    Al
    I have one and works great. Note you will need a old style key type drill. This is so it will fit in their clamp. All of the keyless are too big for their clamp.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.