Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oehler
    I think Lee may have hit on anti gravity with the cat and jelly toast thing.
    Even better: since both sides really want to fall, it spins. Can you say "perpetual motion machine"?

(There's some uncertainty to what happens if the cat dies, but that's a completely different experiment. )

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Even better: since both sides really want to fall, it spins. Can you say "perpetual motion machine"?

(There's some uncertainty to what happens if the cat dies, but that's a completely different experiment. )
    Is that what the Amish use to power their tablesaws?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Well I would say it is better that they hit the concrete and not your foot, that would leave a really nasty mark.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Physics

As much fun as this thread has been, let's not forget that putting a heavier weight in the end of a chisel will not affect which end hits the floor first. Gravity affects everything the same, regardless of mass, so the chisel will hit the ground in roughly the same orientation in which is falls off the bench, accounting of course for any spin applied as it rolls off the edge.

There are two things you can do - first, pad your floor. This is good for your back as well as your tools. Second, flatten your chisel handles. Octagonal, oval, whatever your poison...

Rob in Peoria
    Rob in Peoria

If a chisel falls on the floor when you aren't there, does it make a sound?

Or when not in use you could pound your chisels into your workbench with a mallet. Or perhaps they need something like an egg yolk in the handle so they never roll off the bench.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

If gravity effects everything the same then why did the General Lee always nose dive during a jump? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    If gravity effects everything the same then why did the General Lee always nose dive during a jump? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Serious answer: nose goes off the ramp first and starts falling before the back does, giving it a forward rotation. Pretty hard to get a car to not do that...the motorcycle guys can give the bars a yank at takeoff.

Funny answer (at least if you're not a Mopar fan): because the engine sucks.

at least it missed you foot and ankle.

Mine missed the floor and feel between my shoe and ankle. I was so happy I didnt have to go sharpen out a nick till I took off the shoe about 30 minutes later...bloody sock stuck to a nice cut on my ankle. Well at least I know it was sharp. The shoe was a slip on garden type shoe, I had slippped on to go out chop off some screw plugs before bed...never again will wear those in the shop even for a minute.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

I am not sure but here are some serious considerations on the chisel falling blade first.
    1. the handel is less areodynamic and "slows down" more then the blade and thus the blade is in the lead.
    2. The center of gravity is toward the blade since it has more density. When the chisel is leaving the table it is balanced on the edge of the bench and leans to the sharp end with the handle up.
    3. If #3 is incorrect and you weight the handle it may still land with the blade down but inpact with more energy and do more damage to the chisle, floor, or foot!

4. GOD has a sence of humor and the more perfect the edge the more the chisels will hit the floor.

Takec are
    Bob Oehler

The engine sucks? The same engine that top fuel NHRA engines are based upon. The same engines that can produce over 5000 hp? And........you never see Daisy "riding" in anything else.

Daisy couldn't fit in the General Lee these days, let alone those shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by jon harriman
    Daisy couldn't fit in the General Lee these days, let alone those shorts.
    Wahhh!!!! AIn't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oehler
    I am not sure but here are some serious considerations on the chisel falling blade first.
    1. the handel is less areodynamic and "slows down" more then the blade and thus the blade is in the lead.
    2. The center of gravity is toward the blade since it has more density. When the chisel is leaving the table it is balanced on the edge of the bench and leans to the sharp end with the handle up.
    3. If #3 is incorrect and you weight the handle it may still land with the blade down but inpact with more energy and do more damage to the chisle, floor, or foot!

4. GOD has a sence of humor and the more perfect the edge the more the chisels will hit the floor.

Takec are
    Bob Oehler

Hmmm. Sounds like a mini parachute may fix the chisel problem.

Slow it down so it just bumps the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    To follow up on the first off the ramp answer, mostly this is a Pe and Ke problem. The potential _vs_ kenetic energy. The gravity pull is just what insures it comes back down (not withstanding that there is a Pe for the gravity). so as it goes up a hill kenetic energy is lost and potential energy is gained. The wheels leaving first begin to lose potential energy and gain kenetic energy as the rear of the car is still gaining potential energy. As the kenetic energy falls off the forward motion slows and the effects of gravitational pull seem faster and the car will dip. In the show the drop was such that the front end would hit the ground before the rear of the car would catch up to Ke levels of the front end. (mechanical energy conservation) If the drop were deeper (say a cliff) The rear of the car would catch up to the from and when new forces are applied would cause the car to flip. Then you have some external forces in place and the car will most likely land on its roof.

This is my armchair physics what if memory serves.

Oh and BTW no way does MOPAR suck!

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 11-09-2005 at 4:03 PM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson