Thread: Quasi gloat

Quasi gloat

Ever carry a drill press head down the stairs? That was not fun.

My Delta 17-968R arrived at the dock today from Redmond Machinery. Picked it up at lunch. Dragged it out of the bed, left it in the garage and went back to work.

Came home and realized that I couldn't inflate my dolly's tires. Too cold? Not sure. It was below freezing, so maybe the rubber on the tires wouldn't seat properly on the rims.

So I opened up the box and carried the pieces throught the house and down the stairs.

Having never owned a dp before, I was very surprised to see cast iron. Who the heck designs a tool with cast iron in the head, on a long pole with such a small foot print?

Yes, I know. No pics, no gloat - read the title. If I get finished with Christmas decorations and other chores this weekend and actually put the thing together, I'll take a pic. Definitely think I'm going to put this thing on a ply base and add casters myself. I have my doubts about the 3 wheeled mobile bases available for these things.

Look at it this way...it saves you the cost of a health club membership if you carry it often enough... (Congrats on the new tool)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice score. DP's are incredibly handy.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Congrats on the DP Gary!! They are a heavy piece of machinery. A mobile base is nice for them.

Corey

A real useful tool to have. Call when you get your shop up and running and me and Mark Stutz will come by for a cup of coffe.

Jim

I'll do that Jim. I'll wait till I have my new saw so I can maximize gloats. Now the shop itself, that isn't much to gloat about.

Jim,
    That sounds like a good idea. Need to figure a way to initiate the DP just right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Call when you get your shop up and running and me and Mark Stutz will come by for a cup of coffe. Jim
    With all due respect Jim, I think I have found your problem. It appears you think shops are for drinking coffee in!

Silly wabbit! Shops are for storing lumber in!

Congrats on the DP Gary. I assembled mine by myself and vowed to lasso a friend next time. Guess I'll need a coffee pot or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    Came home and realized that I couldn't inflate my dolly's tires. Too cold? Not sure. It was below freezing, so maybe the rubber on the tires wouldn't seat properly on the rims.
    I assume these are tubeless. If so, and they are completely empty (and thus loose on the rims), they can be tricky to inflate. You often have to wrap a strap around the tire's circumfrence and compress it, in order to force the beads against the rims tightly enough so that you can start inflating it. Once you have some air pressure going, you can take the strap off.