Thread: A small Neander project using some scraps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

A small Neander project using some scraps

Years ago, a member of my church made scroll sawn wood cutouts of Bible characters for the children to use in Sunday School. During the hurricanes, the church basement flooded, and some of the items were damaged beyond repair. I always had admired this guy's contribution. There were boxes and boxes of various little people and wooden scenes.

I was elated when I was asked to replace one of the pieces- a bethlehem scene. They needed it for this Sunday, and I was told last Sunday. They had a pattern that I was to follow- apparently they have a book of scrollsaw projects. Unfortunately, I still do not have power- 89 days without power and counting. So- Neander it would be.

I know SMC has a "no religion" policy, but there is an important part of my wood choices that I need to explain- I will do so matter-of-factly only to explain the wood choices. I am respectful of the rules- only describing my wood choices here. The roofs are bloodwood to symbolize the Blood of Christ. The buildings are flamed maple to symbolize the Holy Spirit (often represented as a flame) living within. I used woods from around the globe to symbolize the spread of God's love.

I made it as plans showed, but I feel the star looks crooked and needs to have the long point down. I think they wanted a whimsical look. Also I would have changed some of the doors and shapes to be more balanced. I decided just to follow the plan as is.

All cuts made with LN dovetail and carcass saw and curves chiseled and then filed smooth. I couldn't find my scroll saw blades!
    Attached Images Attached Images