So I’ve got half of an unfinished basement that my wife is allowing me to turn into a shop. The space is a 12x18 rectangle with a small 5x3 nook that is also part of the floor plan. I am basically planning on mostly hand tool stuff except for the major dimensioning of lumber and that’s where I’d love some help. I am in the early stages of a Nicholson bench build that I want to be the focus of the shop. It probably gonna end up being about 7 feet long and I’d like to have it away from the wall so I can get at all sides of it. As for machinery I’ve got a Dewalt planer and am going to get some dust collection on it because now I drag it outside and blow chips into my backyard which is a pain in the buttt. As far as other machines I feel that a bandsaw would give me the
Most bang for my buck and also have a relatively small footprint. Any of you hand tool focused guys have a suggestion on a great do it all saw? Would like to keep it under 2k but obviously want to get the most saw for my money if I go that high. Maybe the new Laguna 18bx? Or a grizzly 17 or risking?
Finally where do you guys fall on the idea of a Jointer? Part of me feels that planing a face flat and edge square by hand isn’t all that bad, but I haven’t done a massive amount of it. The idea of a 8 inch jointer seems like it would get me to the part of hand tool woodworking that I like, being the joinery and stuff like that much faster. The downside being the space it takes up. A decent 8 inch model has a pretty big footprint, I guess a mobile base would let me wheel it out of the way but in a 12x18 foot space there isn’t really ever an “out of the way”.

Ideas? Help? Tips? Random musings? Thanks in advance.