Thread: Paul Sellers' Chrismas Gift Idea

Paul Sellers' Chrismas Gift Idea

This morning, my inbox received this video link from a buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpomDqYlo0Y

This is a far better Christmas gift idea than any others floating around about buying (more) woodworking tools or accessories.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Some of my Christmas decorations many years ago were made of small blocks of scrap wood that were wrapped like tiny presents to hang on the tree. One year when my gift to the wife and daughters was jewelry, they were wrapped in small boxes without names and hung on the tree. The girls always gave me the hairy eyeball because their gifts would all be wrapped differently with no name tags.

We still have some of the small "hanging gift" decorations and use them after about 30 years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's neat Simon! I'll make some this weekend. Probably paint them green, though!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hmmm....
    Rudolph 2.jpg
    Just 6 pieces of scrap pine....
    Rudolph 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's neat Simon! I'll make some this weekend. Probably paint them green, though!
    I was thinking of writing some personalized season's greetings (and my signature on the back) and put them in some of the gifts that have yet to be wrapped. Shouldn't take anything more than half an hour in the shop for a mini-production run. Don't forget to throw in some shavings, too.

Simon

Thanks for the post!

You know, you could actually use them as GIFT TAGS on the outside, that they could then hang on the tree!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You know, you could actually use them as GIFT TAGS on the outside, that they could then hang on the tree!
    That sure makes sense.

Correction: Half an hour was over-optimistic... It took me about an hour to make 8. The second batch (next year IE) should be quicker.

A quarter way through, I realized I was using the wrong saw -- a cross cut instead of a rip.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-13-2017 at 8:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm....
    Rudolph 2.jpg
    Just 6 pieces of scrap pine....
    Rudolph 1.jpg

Too cute to give away as a marker for each gift.

Simon

Can anyone tell what kind of wood he s using ? Looks like softwood like pine to me. I tried some this weekend and had a tough time. My sawing skills are terrible to say the least. And chiseling the "branches" did not work well-many of them broke off. Would this work better in a hardwood like Maple?
    Thanks for any tips.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Can anyone tell what kind of wood he s using ? Looks like softwood like pine to me. I tried some this weekend and had a tough time. My sawing skills are terrible to say the least. And chiseling the "branches" did not work well-many of them broke off. Would this work better in a hardwood like Maple?
    Thanks for any tips.
    I went with spruce. Pine or fir would just be fine.

If you struggle with sawing straight, clamp a square block to guide it. Make sure your chisel is sharp and you are going with the grain. Try different angles of attack on a scrap first to get the feel or shape, not on your sawn pieces!

If you really have problems with the handsawing, bandsaw them and then chisel the branches as suggested above.

Simon

Thank you for posting this Simon. It is a nice little project and a very pleasant video to watch.

Thanks for the help Simon!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!