Thread: My new replacement shop 40x68x13

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My new replacement shop 40x68x13

I built a 24'x40' shop in 2001. It served me well over the years, but, I outgrew it several years ago. So, I decided to give myself a retirement gift: a new 40'x68'x13', and tear down the old shop. The new shop has a separate vehicle bay which will house a 2 post lift. That portion of the shop is 18' wide, leaving the woodworking part 50'x40'. In the rear of the vehicle bay, there is a utility room which houses the radiant floor heating equipment, toilet/sink, and the air compressor. Also in this area is a separate 12'x12' spray booth with an explosion-proof fan.

The concrete guys did a great job. The back concrete wall is 8ft. tall to get to grade. The foundation extends 1 ft. over the 5" floor to create a stem wall. Then, 12 ft. stick built walls on top of the wall. Each garage door is 10' wide x 12' tall.

On the radiant heat, I used 2" foamular/250 psi foam, vapor barrier, and a 10 loop system. The boiler will be fired by propane. I also use an outdoor forced-air wood stove.

I had a group of Mennonites build the structure. Total nightmare. They misread plans continuously, none of the windows were level with each other, complete hack-job. On the second day of them putting on the tin, I fired them. They ran the J-trim going up-hill, over cut panels to where there were 2" gaps between the J-trim and panels, etc. They told me all the mis-cuts were fine, that it's only a shop. Needless to say, I didn't agree. Got really lucky, as I was able to find some guys who had worked for Morton buildings, who did a fantastic job. I will post pic's of the completed outside when I get the garage doors exchanged. They installed the 2 doors with 3 windows, but the middle window on each door is 4" off center.

I am doing the inside myself. After I complete the wiring, etc., I will put up white tin on the ceiling and walls, then complete the electrical in conduit. I did quite a bit of pre-planning and put my table saw dust collection/electrical under slab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Henry; 12-13-2017 at 10:19 PM.