Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friction-burn lines on a slope with a wire

I burn friction lines on the outside of a lot of bowls that I make. Seems to be a demand for that. I use a coat hanger wire.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m trying to burn some grooves in the underside of a box lid but couldn’t get anything to work.....I don’t have any Formica on hand, is there anything else that would work? I use guitar wire for the sides but don’t know what I could use on the end of a piece. Thanks,
    tom

I use masonry rebar tie wire. Love this stuff. Use it for so many things and a big roll lasts forever.....well for me about 10 years or so....before I lose it

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I’m trying to burn some grooves in the underside of a box lid but couldn’t get anything to work.....I don’t have any Formica on hand, is there anything else that would work? I use guitar wire for the sides but don’t know what I could use on the end of a piece. Thanks,
    tom
    You want something to push straight into the spinning box lid to make dark lines? I'd probably first cut or burnish the grooves with something else then darken the grooves.

I often use a dark (walnut) grain filler to darken indentations on light colored wood, brushed on, wiped off. I apply finish to the piece first so the grain filler doesn't get into the surrounding wood. Dark wax should work too. (People use wax to fill in open grain with a contrasting color.)

When turning a cowboy hat, Chris Ramsey used a piece of black ebony to darken the band, easy enough to try an experiment. Might need to slightly roughen the groove first.

JKJ