Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Sanding - what is your favorite drill?

I use the HF model. I also prefer the key type. One thing I have done is plug it into a router speed control so I can lock it on, but limit it to about 50% power. May not be good for the drill, but have been using it like that for over a year.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    JKJ, thanks for the info the pneumatic sander. The specs state it needs 8cfm, my compressor is rated at 2.4cfm which is probably fine for slow speed sanding. But my compressor is quite small and would probably have to cycle quite frequently. I do though like the idea of an orbital sander. Just a note, the Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3 gallon compressor is very quiet. I have a small 12 x 16 shop and most times I can't hear it running. I would highly recommend it for someone looking for a small compressor.
    David,

Yes, that compressor might not work. I'll leave you my compressor in my will for when I kick off. You'll just have to come and get it. In fact, you can have the whole shop since the compressor is in a closet with sound insulation. The commute might be an issue.

I'll look up the Quiet compressor. I have a couple of small compressors around the farm and the one at the barn is annoyingly loud.

I wish someone made an small handheld electric ROS that would take the small disks.

JKJ

I used an angle drill for quite a while and it worked OK but had two big problems. First, my hands hurt from holding it while sanding. The second was the noise that it made. I replaced my sump pump and used the old motor to drive a flex shaft that I bought from Garrett Wade. It hangs from a large dowel so I can slide it over to the lathe. I initially hung it from the rafters with a French cleat. Worked great if everyone in the house wanted to hear the motor run. A bungie cord works much better to insulate the noise. The motor runs at 1750 RPM so I run my lathe at its slowest speed. Works well although the 3" disks do put a lot of stress on the flex line.

Cheers,
    David

I think I have 4 angle drills, two were Sioux and two were Milwaukee. They were from the days when Sioux made the Milwaukee brand. I figure I get 400 to maybe 500 bowls from them before the bearings are shot, and then I get them rebuilt. I did get one $30 angle drill, but it wasn't Harbor Freight. I got maybe 50 bowls out of it before the speed trigger went dead.

Terminology... There are 2 different styles out there. Some are 'close quarter' and some are 'angle' drills where the chuck comes off the drill body at an angle maybe 20 degrees off of the 'right angle'. The right angle drills are okay for the outside, but don't fit on the inside of a lot of bowls, especially if they are deeper. The standard pistol grip drills will work, but do require two hands to hold.

I have thought about putting a flex shaft on a Milwaukee Hole Hog..... That should be able to hold up well, but I think they are 2 speed rather than variable speed... Still haven't found the ideal set up for lots of sanding. One thing for sure, I want variable speed from maybe as low as 50, to no higher than 600 rpm. Abrasives cut better at slower speeds...

Oh yea, I want the sander to mount on an articulated arm so I don't have to hold it.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I think I have 4 angle drills, two were Sioux and two were Milwaukee. They were from the days when Sioux made the Milwaukee brand. I figure I get 400 to maybe 500 bowls from them before the bearings are shot, and then I get them rebuilt. I did get one $30 angle drill, but it wasn't Harbor Freight. I got maybe 50 bowls out of it before the speed trigger went dead.

Terminology... There are 2 different styles out there. Some are 'close quarter' and some are 'angle' drills where the chuck comes off the drill body at an angle maybe 20 degrees off of the 'right angle'. The right angle drills are okay for the outside, but don't fit on the inside of a lot of bowls, especially if they are deeper. The standard pistol grip drills will work, but do require two hands to hold.

I have thought about putting a flex shaft on a Milwaukee Hole Hog..... That should be able to hold up well, but I think they are 2 speed rather than variable speed... Still haven't found the ideal set up for lots of sanding. One thing for sure, I want variable speed from maybe as low as 50, to no higher than 600 rpm. Abrasives cut better at slower speeds...

Oh yea, I want the sander to mount on an articulated arm so I don't have to hold it.

robo hippy
    i really think there is a market now for 3 phase motors with controller hooked to a flex shaft. The prices on a 1 hp 3 phase and controller have dropped quite a bit. Put the motor and controller on a platform on the ways with a lazy Susan bearing so it can swivel. A piece of scrap wood attach to the bottom between the ways so it can slide forward and backward. Flex shaft with a hexagon quick change chuck. Mandrel with a hexagonal shaft and thing it should work well. Set the speed and sand!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    i really think there is a market now for 3 phase motors with controller hooked to a flex shaft. The prices on a 1 hp 3 phase and controller have dropped quite a bit. Put the motor and controller on a platform on the ways with a lazy Susan bearing so it can swivel. A piece of scrap wood attach to the bottom between the ways so it can slide forward and backward. Flex shaft with a hexagon quick change chuck. Mandrel with a hexagonal shaft and thing it should work well. Set the speed and sand!
    Wow Bob.....that is insightful. Sounds like the best sanding solution I have heard of!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think the key to sander life is cleaning it. At every time I change the grit I blow out the sander. This only takes about 10 or 15 seconds.

I have an Milwaukee 18v Fuel Cordless Drill I use, it’s just the one I have lying around that I don’t care what happens to it.

The Dewalt DW849X is the best I’ve ever found.
    powerful and won’t over heat. Good handles to control the pad, locking trigger.
    speed control to get the right rpms

I think this has possibilities:

https://continentalterrazzosupply.com/flex-shaft.htm

robo hippy

11. Another option is a drill press with a flexible drive shaft. I'm using a Harbour Freight floor model and the flex shaft from Lee Valley with keyed chuck. Quiet, lightweight, and easy to use.

Merry Christmas, Tom
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

Oh Tom, you shouldn't have suggested that...... So, the new Nova DVR drill press with a flex shaft........ I have been wanting an excuse to buy one...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I think this has possibilities:

https://continentalterrazzosupply.com/flex-shaft.htm

robo hippy

Did you check pricing? You might get sticker shock.
    These were common, 50 years ago, but now only for specialty trades and use overseas.
    High quality, but in the $3k range last I called around.

Which is why I went used, like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...EAAOSwMHdXQ3Dy

Finding a decent 90d head is challenge as well.

Well, the Nova DVR drill press would be considerably cheaper..... I did send them an e-mail...

robo hippy

Couldn't you connect a flex shaft to a variable speed midi lathe?
    Our local woodcraft has a Nova DVR drill press, looks pretty stout.