Thread: How best to spend $$$ at Menard's.

How best to spend $$$ at Menard's.

About a year ago, I purchased a Bostitch flooring nailer from a local Menard's store. I purchased it because my bride and I were planning to build a new home in which I intended to hardwood floors. Those plans have been postponed due to employment issues.

Over the weekend, I returned the unopened nailer. I was given an in-store credit in accordance with their return policy.

Here's the issue... As a woodworker, Menard's is not my favorite place to shop for tools and material. However, people continue to give me gift cards for my birthday, Christmas or as a thank you for helping them with a home project. I am certain they are well-intentioned and have the idea that I will make good use of them. I'm not trying to "look a gift horse in the mouth" but as I stated, Menard's isn't my favorite. Besides, isn't using a gift card to buy a new wax-ring for the toilet or weed killer like getting those things for your birthday? What crappy gifts! What are these people thinking?!? Who gives someone driveway sealer for Christmas?

Anyway, I originally used a collection of gift cards to buy the nailer. Since then, I have recieved about $75 in additional gift cards which remain unused. The nailer got me another $470 credit for a grand total of $545.00 in Menard's Mad Money. I'm am at a loss as to how to spend it so I'm seeking suggestions.

I don't really "need" anything. If they carried Bessey clamps, shaper tooling, Forrest or Freud saw blades, etc., I wouldn't need help. Unfortunately, they don't carry the brands we typically hold in high regard. This is primarily why it's not my favorite place to shop. What would you do?
    Last edited by Kevin Post; 11-07-2005 at 2:29 PM.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Menard's IS one of my more favorite places. Mainly for the same reason you don't like them. They tend to cater to the more financially challenged people like myself (unlike woodcraft, rockler). So if you are really not liking "driveway sealer" as a token of appreciation. Feel free to send me all those gift cards. I will be able to put that $500 to a good use. Just PM me for the address.

If your not up for that,,, they always have the basic things, sandpaper, stains, sealers, polys, sheet goods, screws, nails.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 11-07-2005 at 2:12 PM.

Don't know from Menards, but I'll assume it's like HD/Lowes. I'm with you on them not being the candy store anymore. But, I could probably come up with a way to spend that kind of cash.

- How about a big honkin air compressor.
    - A welder (Lowes and HD both sell reasonable brand MIGs for around that).
    - Maybe bunches of plywood to build nice shop cabinetry.
    - You could improve your collection of hardware and hardware storage so you'll have fewer trips there mid project.
    - A nice roll around toolbox and/or some extra wrenches and screwdrivers to put at each machine so you never have to go in search of for adjustments.
    - If all else fails, you do have glue, glue brushes, shop rags, and other sundry disposables for a long time.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

4. Kevin,
    Menards (especially the big ones) have a pretty good supply of hardwood plywood, especially if you are willing to special order. They don't have a ton of different kinds but they do have all of the standbys--oak, cherry, birch, and a couple of others I believe. Their prices are competative and the material looked pretty good from what I could see. Four or five sheets of 3/4" and your Menards money is gone.
    Darrick

Ever think about selling the gift cards? Even if it's at a slight loss, it's gives you some cash options. Can Menard's order anything of interest to you? Does Menard's sell anything that you could easily liquidate to cash? Or maybe you could give them as gifts!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I totally agree with your assessment of Menard's for tools. However, I did get a heck of deal on a Jet air filtration unit there last year. Mostly, they only stock the low end Jet stuff, but I heard once that you can special order other Jet or PM stuff through them. I never confirmed it, because I would normally not buy a high end piece of equipment there, but if I had the store credit that you do, I would be tempted to ask. They also have some smaller Bosch, Makita and Kreg stuff as well.

FYI,

Menards can special order jet and powermatic tools as well as special order HTC products. $500 could go a long way to something nice from either company. Go to their tool manager and ask for a catalog.

I haven't purchased many WW related tools from Menards but I am happy with the Tool Shop floor drill press I got there. I also bought the Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration system from them. Check out the Clarke 3 piece tool box set, the black one. They do have some higher end tools, but not many, such as:

Makita LS1013 SCMS
    Freud FJ85 Jigsaw
    Bosch 1587 Jigsaw
    Jet Floor DP
    Quick Grip Clamps

I agree with others here. Mendards has improved greatly in my opinion, while they don't have the "Tool Corral" that HD and Lowes have, they do sell SOME nice power hand tools and they can special order tools from the WMH Tool group such as Jet and PM. Also I think there sheet goods are much better than others, for one they store it properly and it is not stored on racks that are meant to hold 2 X lumber! Also they have some nice 1/2 and 1/4 oak, aspen etc. that is tough to find in home centers. Overall, I think you can find someway to spend that 500.00
    Corey

I 've order though them, I purchased my 16-32 Perfromax sander. The price was 185.00 less than anyone else, And no shipping if you wait and have it bought in with there regular shippments. Mine took a week and a half. Just food for thought.

I second that on menards... I was just there and they had a complete, Jet, PM catalog with which to order... the prices seemed in line.. I have about $600 there and $700 at Home Depot from return from a construction project I did for my sister. I can not find anything else at HD... after a router, a jigsaw, a beltsander etc... I did go to 4 HD's and no one could figure out if they can order anything custom. "If we did, it would cost you" was the best answer I got there.

I think I might find a jet tool that I could at least use from menards.

I'm pretty well set on supplies. That's how I've spent many of the cards I've gotten in the past.

I considered just hanging on to the $$$ to buy plywood but I was thinking the fireworks approach would be a better way to go. You know how that works... One big bang is usually a lot more fun than a lot of little bangs.

I've special-ordered Jet machines there in the past because they used to be price competitive. Their prices aren't that competitive on the special order items anymore. I have most every machine I could want or need; cabinter saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw, shaper, DC, molder. I was considering a JBOS-5 Oscillating Spindle Sander. However, one retailer offers it for $379.99 with free shipping while Menard's wants $449 for it. If I decide to pursue it, I'll talk to a manager to see if they'll match it.

I'm also considering a big honkin compressor (ala Jay). I have a compressor now. It's a 5HP oil-free model and has the power I need for everything I do except for running pneumatic sanders and similar tools for long stretches. The main reason I would replace it is the noise. Out of curiousity, how many of you guys have stationary compressors? Is it a good way to go?

Here's an interesting idea.

How about this...

Every time you go to Menards to buy a toilet ring, weed killer or driveway sealer take the cash for this item out of one pocket and put it in another pocket. Then take out one of your gift cards and pay for your purchase. When you get home put the cash that you put in your other pocket and hide it under the matress or where ever you put your "mad money". That way you "spent" the exact same amount of cash as you would have if you HAD paid cash for the item but in a few months you've converted your Menards gift cards to cash.

Just a thought.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Unfortunately, the LOML knows all of my hiding places.

Kevin,
    I don't know if you need a good grinder at a great price but Menards carries an 8" 1HP Wilton grinder for $50 or $60. I've got one and am very happy with it. I'm sure that they'll special order the slightly beefier motor version from Wilton as well (from WMH).

My local one does carry Freud router bits and saw blades (might be under the Avanti name) if I'm not mistaken. I visit many different stores so I might be off track here.

You might consider a Jet MiniVS lathe in the $350-375 range. Many people swear by this little lathe and keep their unit even when they upgrade to a larger one. They also carry (or can special order) the larger 1236s and 1442s as well.

They do carry Kreg jigs if that is on your wish list. They carry the full pocket hole jig set for $150-200 and the mini version with a one-holed pocket guide that you clamp yourself for under $20.

Good luck,
    Dick