Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for ready to use Stanley #7?

Blog Entries
    I can't remember the last time I had less than a 70 hour work week. so I have to prioritize any spare time to try to get the most enjoyment possible out of it. To spend two hours a day in the shop I have to cut back to 6 hours a day of sleep before a 14-hour night shift.
    One of my common decision points in choosing to buy a ready to go plane versus one to restore is if one has more time or more money. Apparently you time is very limited. Hopefully you are being paid well for working so many hours. In your case it may be better to purchase a plane from Lee Valley or Lie-Nielssen. The only way a used plane would be a good investment for you is if it comes from someone who will set it up before sending it to you. As Pete mentions even used planes from reliable vendors will likely need at least having their blade sharpened. In the future you will likely have to sharpen your own blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't mind needing to sharpen a blade or something like that. The big issue with a full-on restoration isn't just the time working on the plane but all the time it would take me to research how to do it also. When I got my first dirt bike and it was time for a rebuild my friend swore up and down I should be able to do a top-end rebuild in 2 to 3 hours but it took me closer to a month because I had no idea what I was doing and had to research every step of the way and second-guess myself and occasionally buying new parts that I screwed up along the line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    I don't mind needing to sharpen a blade or something like that. The big issue with a full-on restoration isn't just the time working on the plane but all the time it would take me to research how to do it also. When I got my first dirt bike and it was time for a rebuild my friend swore up and down I should be able to do a top-end rebuild in 2 to 3 hours but it took me closer to a month because I had no idea what I was doing and had to research every step of the way and second-guess myself and occasionally buying new parts that I screwed up along the line.
    At least on a hand plane you don't have to worry about cam dwell or valve clearance.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

If you are still looking for a jointer, PM me and we'll see what we can work out. The planes I sell are cleaned tuned, sharpened and ready to work. Prices for a 7 run $100-$125 plus shipping.

Out of curiosity what are the more desirable time periods for Stanley number sevens?

I'll send you a p.m. Dave thank you

Brandon-

If you are still looking I would recommend Craigslist and flea markets. I'm in Chester County and I know if I go to the flea markets easy and west of me I could probably find a few #7's. Typically there is a guy selling on CL and he has a bunch of Stanley planes. The flea markets in Adamstown (hope I got that right) typically draw tool sellers and worth the drive...you must have some near you? No? I love the idea of slightly worn tools from a flea market and I have quite a few. The woodshop I worked in years ago was full of tools bought at the flea markets. Got a couple of #2's and all sorts of other stuff.

Good luck

Found this guy on CL. He's in Columbia (between York and Lancaster). I think he might have one.

tool store.jpg
    Last edited by John T Barker; 12-25-2017 at 3:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    Out of curiosity what are the more desirable time periods for Stanley number sevens?
    [edited]
    The planes before type 11, other than a type 3, are all good users. Type 11 starting circa 1910-19 has three patent dates. Other than the patent dates the type 10, 1907-09 is virtually identical other than the patent dates. Next came the Sweet Hart era, types 12 through type 15 1920 through 1932.

In 1920 Stanley Rule & Level merged with Stanley Works. Stanley Works used the SW designation on many of their products. The heart was a tribute to William H. Hart who worked with Stanley Works for 61 years and served as Chairman of the Board from 1915 to 1918 when he retired. He died a year later. Some of the Stanley Works products had the Sweet Hart logo before the merger.

That is the time period most coveted by collectors and many users.

My preference is for a low knob. Most of my planes are before type 10. They all work fine. Most folks do not want planes before type 6. The type 5 has a lateral adjuster but it can get worn. Before type 5, circa 1885, do not have a lateral adjuster. Type 6 and earlier have depth adjusters that work in the opposite direction of the later types.

Please note this is only applicable to Stanley/Bailey planes.

jtk