Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did the "holiday elf" bring you for your woodworking addiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zino View Post
    Wife got me a table saw from Lowes. Porter Cable. I am new here and also to woodworking. Happy New Year!
    Welcome Todd! Enjoy your saw.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    ... I prefer to pick out my own tools if I happen to need any ....
    I get free rein to make my own choices .. the family may know what I want, but are aware that quality varies. I only purchase tools that are needed to a particular project. The current priority is a set of Windsor bar stools for the kitchen (hopefully ready long before next Christmas! ). They will be followed by a few Windsor-style chairs ... Hence a set of Wood Owl auger bits, Veritas Pro taper reamer, a set of Veritas taper tenon cutters, Ray Isles scorp, and a Lee Valley centering jig for chair spindles.

Best wishes for the Festive Season

Regards from Cape Town (where we are holidaying)

Derek

3. American made shop apron from Artifactbags with leather y straps - I'm kind of surprised to say I really like it! Also a lost art press book - Roubo on Furniture. I did self-elf a Jet/PM 719t chisel mortiser about 2 weeks before Christmas .

Welcome Todd Zino,to one of the best WWing forums there is.Since your new to woodworking,maybe research here your first work bench which is always a good project.

My daughters got me the gift of woodworking. They have been living together for the last year and are moving into separate apartments in January. The youngest is trying to build some small furniture and knick-knacks and wanted my help. So, I have enjoyed doing that though its mostly been tearing up pallets and teaching her how to assemble small items. She bought the wood for a farm style dining room table that we will build over the next few weeks. The lumber is in the garage now drying while I pick up needed tools.

Only new tool was a Ryobi sliding compound miter saw. I'm impressed with it but I need to get it off the floor when using it. That's a project for next year also. I self-elfed myself some woodworking books and some sawhorses along with a Kreg KMA2900 Multi-Mark Multi-Purpose Marking and Measuring Tool. But I have been digging through the garage clutter hunting for and inventorying my old tools. Lots of garage cleaning out to do.

My best gift was a rekindled interest in woodworking. I've dabbled with it a couple times in the past but now I'm getting serious about it. I have been semi-retired (sounds better than unemployed) and the wife has given me permission to retire and pursue woodworking full time. The plan is to build furniture for the daughter's new places as well as things like farm tables for selling. She says I have to use my old tools and no new ones until I prove I can do this. I'm going to have to work on her some.

No one wants to hire an old software developer (I'm 61) but old woodworkers are okay. I know I won't pull down a 6-figure income but as long as I can supplement my wife's income we will be okay. I hope.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 12-29-2017 at 9:21 AM.

I can't seem to get my post to format correctly. Any ideas on how to fix my previous post?

Let's see if that got it straightened out.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 12-29-2017 at 9:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    I can't seem to get my post to format correctly. Any ideas on how to fix my previous post?
    Been a lot of chatter on this lately. I believe there is a post on that in the Tech Support forum.

Thanks Frederick. I had to edit my posts but I got them straight by switching the URL to not use https. That also gave me back the missing spell checker. Since my first post were made today, I didn't know what was happening but I knew it should't have done that. Seems like it was switching everything to an HTML format and including formatting tags. Not sure why.

I deleted my browser's security policies for this domain (chrome://net-internals/#hsts) and that seems to have fixed the issue. Not sure how it got messed up anyway but the cached policies seemed to be switching everything on here to https
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 12-29-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    Thanks Frederick.

I had to edit my posts but I got them straight by switching the URL to nut use https. That also gave me back the missing spell checker.

Since my first post were made today, I didn't know what was happening but I knew it should't have done that. Seems like it was switching everything to an HTML format and including formating tags.Not sure why.
    No problem at all Marshall. Glad you are able to join us - welcome!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

10. Jim,

Can you provide more detail about the "holder" that you use for sous vide? I am a convert as well, but I am am still looking for best ways to use our Anova.

Santa was very good to me this entire year, even made a special trip to Germany then to Texas for me. Not wanting to wiegh his sleigh up too much, i had him focus more on a gift for my wife. He brought her a Chanel handbag. A happy wife makes for a happy life..... and hopefully a supportive wife for all my past and future machine addictions��

I must have been very good this year, my lovely Santa Wife (a former woodworker who had a pretty complete shop of her own when I met her) went above and beyond;

Blue Spruce - 2 dovetail chisels with the long handle, a fishtail chisel with long handle and a 1" paring chisel with the long cocobolo handle.
    Starrett - 24" R4 blade for my combination square and 12" R4 rule (both bought online at great prices, she is really good at bargains)
    LV - PMV 11 irons and caps for my Stanley #3 & #7 and a saddle square
    Bridge City - RS2 try square (also online at less than 1/2 of what I see now)
    New pair of Merrell Mocs for shop wear

But the best gift of all was a White Christmas, it started snowing Christmas Eve afternoon and continued through the big day. My son was here from Hawaii with his family, none of whom had ever seen snow! Nothing beats that joy!
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-29-2017 at 2:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    Be careful NOT to hold the Bosch Colt like it shows in the manual on page 13 - with your left hand fingers resting on the indents on the Colt router base. People have had their fingers chewed up because the fingers rest too close to the opening and the router bit. If you can't run it one-handed then ...

... the best advice I've seen is to use the Bosch Colt plunge router base, or the Rockler Compact Router Sub-Base with Handles:

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-compa...e-with-handles

By the way, I've also read of people who have been "bit" on the left hand or arm by the rotating router bit while handling the Colt - while removing it from the material while the router bit is still turning.
    Great advice, Thanks

Blog Entries
    My wife got me a lie-Neilson 60 1/2 block plane, and I bought myself this pile
    20171223_124431.jpg

Thank you and everyone else for the welcome