Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Reaxx saw worst tool I have ever owned in my life.

Not surprised to hear this. I’ve been very disappointed with Bosch tools in recent years. For example, I bought a jig saw that broke in the first few days of light use, and a high end stud finder that couldn’t find a stud.

[QUOTE=scott vroom;2759235]Total BS. I've owned a 12" Bosch miter saw mounted on the gravity stand for about 6 years....that stand is awesome.

Next time you make a purchase consider a warranty...highly recommended for avoiding high blood pressuresure

not sure how comparing the stand that holds a mitre saw to a stand that holds a table saw and is falling apart after being moved around a few times because it’s not built to handle the weight is the same thing. I also wonder if the people that say the Bosch stand is amazing I’ve ever used any other stands because of the three that I’ve used it’s easily the third best and it’s the only one currently falling apart
    Last edited by keith micinski; 12-29-2017 at 5:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Keith , I'm not going to tell you what's best for you or what you should like , but from your comments and observations in this thread it sure seems like you're a bit uninformed and perhaps introduced user error into some of the issues you experienced with the Bosch saw.
    Already pointed out is the reason they stopped selling it ,which was not because of the issues you experienced.
    Then the cord length which you didn't describe accurately.
    Miter gauges on portable saws stink (even Mafell's) in comparison with precision ones guys have for shop saws. Ditto with the blades that come with jobsite saws. They stink in comparison to quality aftermarket blades and shouldn't be relied on to make smooth cuts on cabinet grade sheetgoods or hardwood.
    The dewalt fence has a folding/articulating portion to support material once it leaves the table. It has since the 744 rollout decades ago. The one I had turn of the century needed calibration out of the box before it would cut square.
    I think many will disagree with you on the fence cursor thing too. If it's absolutely critical , it gets measured from the blade tooth to the fence. No matter if the fence is on a ryobi, unisaw, or a Martin slider. The notable exception is a digital motorized fence that's calibrated each session like a Tigerstop. Cursors on jobsite saws are notorious for getting moved, bumped ect. especially if there are multiple users. Then your calibration and expensive sheet of mahogany ply are off and you're pulling out the tape measure anyway.
    Plus a few more.
    I understand it's not the best saw out there , but this is a bit if a hatchet job.
    If you honestly take every measurement by hand and transfer it to the table saw fence then I can’t help you. I own plenty of table saws I set and never take a measurement again. Matter of fact going on 15 years on two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    This is the most disappointing realization ever as far as tools goes for me. I really need a nice job site saw and I really can't stand Steve gass or "sawstop guy"
    He doesn't lose a lot of sleep over your dislike, but you are stuck with a crappy saw. You do the math.

He invented something and is certainly entitled to do what he wants with it. If inventors had to to give it up for free, like you want, there would be no inventions.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 12-29-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    He doesn't lose a lot of sleep over your dislike, but are stuck with a crappy saw. You do the math.

He invented something and is certainly entitled to do what he wants with it. If inventors had to to give it up for free, like you want, there would be no inventions.
    Shocked it took this long for sawstop guy to chime in smugly
    Giving it up for free and suing everyone else to force them to have to pay you are not the same thing, thats not an opinion, it's a fact. As far as there being no invention if you couldn't monetize it, well you should do a little reading about inventors and you would learn otherwise. As near as I can tell his saws are very good I can't argue that. I hoped the Bosch would be a good saw also, for me it has not been.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 12-29-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Cox View Post
    Not surprised to hear this. I’ve been very disappointed with Bosch tools in recent years. For example, I bought a jig saw that broke in the first few days of light use, and a high end stud finder that couldn’t find a stud.

Bosch makes 6 or 7 different jigsaws and they vary widely in quality and price. I'd guess the one you had was an Asian made cheapie. Their Swiss made top of the range is a very fine a robust saw. Even if you did manage to break it during normal use , it'd still be under warranty and you'd get a replacement. And they invented the jigsaw so their is pride at stake too.

Electronic stud finders are notoriously temperamental. I've had just about all of them and the same finder will work differently depending on the wall composition.

Those two examples aren't indicative of a company's competence. Their 12v drill lineup is well regarded around sites I visit and their new cordless planer is a real treat. They may not be the best but they are certainly on par with Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee.

Interesting thread. I like the airbag concept behind the reaxx technology. Just replace a gas cartridge, It doesn’t ruin a blade or brake cartridge and I’m sure it would be a contender in a cabinet saw. I have a feeling sawstop thinks so too. Also less stress on the saw itself. I have to question how many fires the little sawstop will take before it’s toast.
    As far as the 4100 with the gravity stand I own one at home. I do have access to cabinet saws where I work so I can attest that the Bosch cuts just fine. I always measure from tooth to fence there too. I did make a crosscut sled for it , modified the crosscut guide to take up much of the slop, added side and rear extensions and a Freud thin kerf blade. The dust collection is adequate if hooked to a vacuum. The gravity stand works great. It has a nice size table for a bench top saw with a universal motor. Just be sure to blow the motor out after use. Keep the fence rails waxed and the fence adjusted it does what it was desiigned to do.I chose this saw over the dewalt because I just wheel it out to the driveway when I need it and am not transporting it every day. If I was I’d might have bought the dewalt.
    Sorry you didn’t like your reaxx though. I too hate being disappointed . I think Bosch has a better solution though. I hope it comes to market in a satisfactory way.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Pretty much what Martin said, it is a jobsite saw. Basically like every other jobsite saw. Piece of plastic box, housing an upside down skilsaw, with a metal top and fence mounted above. I have used the Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, and several others. That level of quality is par for the course, across the board. When I was younger, we bought the makitas, because they were readily, and cheaply available, and it was known by my boss that they lasted about a year, then you got another one.
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with a carpenter on the job once. He had a brand new Dewalt 18v drill and said the contractor just gives it to them to keep. I thought he was pretty lucky until he said that on the jobsite they last about a year. When they fail, turn it in to the boss for a new one.

When I was an apprentice all the tools were 120v. The best tools were Milwaukee and I saw some that were 30 years old. Now tools are just disposable.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Pretty much what Martin said, it is a jobsite saw. Basically like every other jobsite saw. Piece of plastic box, housing an upside down skilsaw, with a metal top and fence mounted above. I have used the Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, and several others. That level of quality is par for the course, across the board. When I was younger, we bought the makitas, because they were readily, and cheaply available, and it was known by my boss that they lasted about a year, then you got another one.
    I have that exact Bosch you speak of, minus the special Reaxx safety feature. It is a $300-350.00 saw if I remember, with a $650 add on safety feature.
    Any of them are a very miserable substitute for a proper shop saw.
    They are all made to rip plywood, framing lumber, and other typical housebuilding jobsite materials, including Boral, Azek, and all the composite decking. Basically turning 1 piece into 2 or more. They don't do it well, and they don't generally do it for long.
    It also makes just about no sense to put a good blade on it. There is so much runout on the arbors, that it doesn't justify the expense. The lipstick on a pig situation all over again.
    All that said, when I finally broke down and bought my Bosch about 5 years ago, after hemming and hawing about wasting that kind of money on a machine with all those miserable attributes, and poor cut quality, I was thankful at the end of the day and job that I could just pick it up and slide it in the truck by myself. And it got the job done, more or less.
    I hate using it, compared to any of my shop saws- Whitney, Greenlee, Martins, etc... but I can't cart any of them around.
    It is not, in my mind anyway, intended as a precision instrument. It gets banged and tossed from job to job, and you toss it when it dies
    I know I'll take heat for this but I bought the Sawstop Jobsite Saw when it first came out and love it. None of the problems noted with the Bosch nor what people indicate is normal for a job site saw have happened to me. Of course, I don't throw it in and out of a truck or van nor use it in all sorts of tough wear circumstances on a job site. I'm not sure how any table saw would stand up to that type of wear and use. I just use mine in my shop and bought it because I can move it out of the way when I want for more floor space. Never have had a misfire. The rip fence stays the way I set it up on the first day I used it. The mite gauge sucks but only the most expensive table saws have a miter gauge that has a chance of being use. I know people hate the Sawstop developer, but I can't say enough good things about their joisite saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Oh, so what you're saying is, it's a jobsite saw.
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I own three table saws. I had two before the current three. My first was a AMT that didn't tilt the motor when the blade tilted. I built a bigger top and it worked, kind of. My next was a wooden based saw made from a kit of metal parts. I used that for 5-10 years. Worked but was sort of crude. I built furniture with it. Then I bought a Ryobi BT3100. I used it until recently and still use it for dados. It has no miter slot, it has a small sliding table that I find inaccurate, but it works pretty well. I built a lot of furniture on it in over a decade of use. The fence stays parallel to the blade and the blade stays perpendicular to the top. I measured the front edge of the fence to the blade for cuts with a steel ruler. It could be put on a movable base and be a pretty good jobsite saw if you can deal with no miter gauge.

Most recently I bought a SawStop PCS. I think Steve Gass is a bad human being too but he doesn't own the company any more and I guess I kind of got over it. It is a MUCH nicer saw. But I still check the fence position with a steel ruler. It sits on top of the fence. It isn't perfect either, however. The miter gauge is a piece of junk. I already had an Osborne gauge so that isn't a big deal. The riving knife is too thin in my opinion. I am using full kerf blades and the wood closes up on the blade sometimes, I think the riving knife should prevent that. I will probably make a thicker one and then have to deal with getting it in position. The blade that came with the saw is worth about $20. Rough cuts. The saw height is too short in my opinion but I solved that by making my own custom base. My blade was not parallel to the miter slots but it was only about half a mil off which is the same amount it moves when you tilt the blade to 30 degrees to access the left rear bolt (guess I know how they set parallel at the factory). I would have left it but it was towed in and my new Infinity blade was burning the wood a little (but cutting very smooth). I made it towed out about the same amount but the small amount of burning persists. I need to try one of my other blades, I think that is probably the cause. The stock throat plate is also not so great but I got one from Infinity that I like better and when I get some hardwood inserts made I think I will be completely satisfied with it.

I am confident you can do good work with even the cheapo Ryobi direct drive saw - I have one of those two due to a divorce settlement. But it easier with a nicer tool. I made anything I needed, including half a dozen bedroom sets, with my cheap saws. But it is much easier with a PCS. I am finishing up my first bedroom set with it now. But I have some more tuning to do on it before I am completely satisfied. The REAXX isn't cheap but it is still a jobsite saw with the limitations required for weight and size considerations. Bosch's 1250DEVSS is a very nice sander, their flexiclick 12V drills are great (I have both) and their top jigsaw is at the top of that market. Doesn't sound like the REAXX is an equivalently designed tool.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 12-20-2018 at 8:06 AM.

A year has gone by since the original post.

What I want to know is if the OP did crush that saw with his tractor.

AND...what brand tractor?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    A year has gone by since the original post.

What I want to know is if the OP did crush that saw with his tractor.

AND...what brand tractor?
    LOL! That's my question too!
    Another option could have been to drag it out in the boonies with said tractor, and use a 12 ga.
    J D tractor maybe?

Bad news, that piece of crap sat around for the last year mocking me and one of the guys that works for me finally decided he had to have a table saw at his house to start getting into woodworking and doing general projects around the house. It’s Christmas and I thought, what the hell as much as I want to run it over he could use it more. The good news is I replaced it with the Milwaukee cordless saw and it’s the greatest tool I have ever owned. Couldn’t ask for more from a job site saw and it’s cordless to boot. Been bouncing around in my trailer for 6 months and every time I use it that fence is dead nuts on. By the way, I love all the guys that kept replying it’s a job site saw so it can’t be any good. Makes me wonder what they do for a living because it can’t be working on a job site. I also agree that any body can do just about anything on a cheap Ryobi but after 15 years of struggling to get by making things work with cobbled together tools I won’t be going back to working with junk no matter what the cost. Plus I’m obviusy not good enough to work with junk tools and will take any advantage I can get

If anything that saw taught me a valuable lesson. In the past I would have struggled along with that worthless piece of junk because I paid so much damn money for it and been unhappy using it and the product I produced with it. I ate it moniteraliy on that saw but learned working with the tools I want to use makes a job feel better while doing it and after it’s over, at least for me it does anyway.

Also my tractor has been sick for most of the year with carberator problems because I have been so busy with work so it would have been hard to run it over. It’s a 1959 Ford 850
    Last edited by keith micinski; 12-20-2018 at 9:40 PM.

Dang it man. When I saw this post pop back up, I was soooo hoping to see a video of you running it over with your tractor.