Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I about to be Paypal scammed?

Almost every heavy item sold on ebay involves the buyer arranging his own shipping. What do you find it strang?

I would think if the buyer wanted to wait for all the funds to clear his bank, before the seller let his item go, it might be ok to go through with the sale. That way he really has nothing to lose.
    It's a shame dishonest people put good people through this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Almost every heavy item sold on ebay involves the buyer arranging his own shipping. What do you find it strang?
    This wasn't Ebay, it was someone from HI viewing listings on Craig's List in NY state. Unless this is a rare thing to find or one heck of a deal, that's odd enough to raise eyebrows. I don't have experience shipping something heavy enough to crate, so can't speak to the common use of sending your own shipper, but that's the second odd thing, to me.
    Maybe it's fine. Maybe.

Regardless, if you can't prove it was shipped and received by the buyer you aren't eligible for seller protection. Proving you handed it off to the shipper won't be sufficient. Also why you shouldn't accept Paypal for an in-person transaction. All the buyer has to do is tell PayPal you never sent it. They'll freeze funds immediately and find for the buyer when you can't provide proof he got it.

I use craigslist tempest that will list every item that I imput from around the country if it is set to

thanks for all the replys everyone. I have decided to move forward with this for a few reasons.

-the family agreed to do the xaction outside of ebay/paypal because of the "return request" risk I explained I did not want to expose myself to
    -they are using a bank check, so I can have instant verification done by my bank
    -after throwing a quick ebay listing up so that they could buy it through ebay, they did move forward. It was me that canceled the order
    -I think it is logical that rural hawaiians are used to having to freight stuff to them. It only seems crazy to me because I live in the lower 48 and never have to deal with it
    -and finally, if this is a scam on their part, I think they deserve the lathe. They are really good...

Happy new year everyone.

DW

If they are willing to do a "bank check" why not an electronic funds transfer? Bank money orders can be faked so verification is a must. They can also have a "stop payment" put on them. The only sure way to guarantee your not being scammed is an EFT.

I don't see the issue. My bank stated they could instantly verify its legitimacy and the funds. The stop payment would have to be done before its being cashed.

To do an EFT, would this not require met to provide them with my bank info? If so, I would feel much more comfortable with a certified check than an eft
    DW

Actually I should have said wire transfer. They are non-stoppable unless it's fraudulent and then that would be on the originating bank. That's the preferred long distance money transfer method. It's non reversible. Once the "send" is initiated it can't be stopped. There is no buyer protection in using a wire transfer. I sold a welder that I crated and took to a dock for pickup but the freight was paid for by the buyer and the money of course via PayPal. If it had been a CL sale then I would have had some real concerns. I don't know what your selling and it doesn't matter to me. Just make sure there is no risk on your part in this transaction.Good luck whatever you decide.

So did you follow through with this?

I did. They did a bank check and allowed it to clear 14 days. Both theirs and my bank stated that after it was cashed there was no way to put a stop on the funds but the 14 days could be taken as an extra measure. A truck picked the pallet up last week.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    I did. They did a bank check and allowed it to clear 14 days. Both theirs and my bank stated that after it was cashed there was no way to put a stop on the funds but the 14 days could be taken as an extra measure. A truck picked the pallet up last week.
    Good for you. Glad it worked out!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good, it sounded sketchy but it's good to know everything went as it should.