Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rikon 10-324 vs 2002 Laguna LT16 bandsaws

I’d agree price is a bit high, but used equipment prices can vary widely by location.

If you are prepared to move the Laguna, I’d recommend going to take a look at it. Go through the guide adjustment and try a resaw on a sample board. Confirm you have the resaw capacity you’re getting. I think the super deep resaw capacities was a relatively recent phenomenon. For resawing, big wheels, strong frame/spring, and big table are all nice. Bigger motor would be nice.

Matt

Randy I would buy the Laguna in a heartbeat. That is as good as it gets price wise on this side of the border. I am still hoping to find a good used Italian saw but will probably bite the bullet and buy a new one this summer. I have been looking for 6 years now and dont want to wait the rest of my life to use one. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Randy I would buy the Laguna in a heartbeat. That is as good as it gets price wise on this side of the border. I am still hoping to find a good used Italian saw but will probably bite the bullet and buy a new one this summer. I have been looking for 6 years now and dont want to wait the rest of my life to use one. Mike.
    Price has been the sticking point for me with the Laguna. I can buy a brand new14/12 Laguna for the same price as the used LT16. I wouldn't have hesitated if the LT16 was a couple hundred cheaper. But I am beginning to think that there is a good chance I will wait several more years before I find one at that price.

Dang! I just called the guy up to buy his Laguna and someone else has offered him $200 MORE for the saw. They are picking it up in the next half hour. I shouldn't have been humming and hawing and just got going and bought it. That makes me sad.

There is a guy in Calgary with a LT18 on Kijiji that is a 2008 model. He is asking 3950 with a resaw king blade and 7-8 other blades. This is the only Laguna (Italian) that I have seen this year. A new Minimax S400p was qouted to me for $4000. I have also seen a Hammer N440 for 3000. Welcome to Alberta,very few used Italian saws. What are new prices like for Minimax in the States ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    There is a guy in Calgary with a LT18 on Kijiji that is a 2008 model. He is asking 3950 with a resaw king blade and 7-8 other blades. This is the only Laguna (Italian) that I have seen this year. A new Minimax S400p was qouted to me for $4000. I have also seen a Hammer N440 for 3000. Welcome to Alberta,very few used Italian saws. What are new prices like for Minimax in the States ?
    When I was tracking used prices in SF bay area (2012-2014), I saved some of the listings:
    - $900USD - LT16 (1998 Meber, 2.5hp, 7 blades + mobile base)
    - $1200USD - LT16 (think this was mid-2000's)
    - $1600USD - LT16HD (3hp motor)
    - $900USD - Minimax S45
    - $700USD - Minimax S45
    - $800USD - Minimax S45 (winning bid at westauction.com)
    (Jim Foster posted the 2001 Laguna price list in another thread.)

One problem with good deals on used tools is they don't sit for long -- so you need to make up your mind quickly and be ready to go get the tool. I'd recommend going immediately to visit -- evaluate the tool and start any negotiations if the pricing is an issue.

(I ended up buying a new mm16, but it has been my highest-end tool purchase to-date)

If your heart is really on a larger saw, do the 18" rikon's go on sale in Canada? (seem to here in the states)

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 12-30-2017 at 9:43 PM.

I screwed up....I should have grabbed it. If there is a next time you watch how fast I move!

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Bates View Post
    I screwed up....I should have grabbed it. If there is a next time you watch how fast I move!
    You learned a valuable lesson about shopping for equipment. You let the shine of fresh paint and a virtually valueless warranty seduce you away from seeing the true value in a better, quality, used machine until it was too late to act. This is part of due diligence. And it will help you focus on what is truly important. Keep your eye on the prize.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The warranty is virtually useless. Buy the better saw, the Laguna.
    I don't know about the warranty being useless. The Rikon 10-325's motor developed an illness a week or two after I got it. I got another motor under warranty. I would agree that 5 year warranty over 1 year is about worthless. My experience with most things electric is if they don't suffer an early failure, they're good for years.

An 18" laguna came up on craigslist last night for $1950cdn. I saw the ad this morning and emailed and offered to buy it full price. It was sold already. Now I am just sad.

Do the General 20" saws come up for sale often? I would expect one of those to have the same great quality as your 15" General, and don't they have a 12" resaw height?

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Do the General 20" saws come up for sale often? I would expect one of those to have the same great quality as your 15" General, and don't they have a 12" resaw height?

--Geoff
    As I have started watching more closely it seems like the better named solid second hand machines are a lot more rare than the cheapo ones on craigslist. I have set up a couple craigslist searches to notify me if Laguna and a few other names come up. If they do I will get moving. It is just a matter of time right?

Hey Matthew Hills. What did you wind up with? Did you get a reasonable deal in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Bates View Post
    ...It is just a matter of time right?...
    Actually it is a matter of perseverance. Widen your search radius.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."