Thread: squaring small pieces of wood

squaring small pieces of wood

I'm in the middle of a project that calls for many 6" long X 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" blocks of a variety of woods. Everything started out nicely square but wood movement and something I did wrong left me with slightly out of square blocks. Sorry... but I started with 8/4 rough lumber so the jointer, planer and tablesaw (all set properly) were used. Now I'm back in my comfort zone but I have one concern since these blocks need to be near perfect (chaos style end grain cutting board).

What is the best approach to squaring these smaller blocks. I was going to use my shooting board but realized that holding the small end to the fence without a clamp wouldn't work out very well. I don't have a clamping system for my shooting board.

Advice for an approach that has worked well for others would be appreciated.
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Lapinel View Post
    I'm in the middle of a project that calls for many 6" long X 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" blocks of a variety of woods. Everything started out nicely square but wood movement and something I did wrong left me with slightly out of square blocks. Sorry... but I started with 8/4 rough lumber so the jointer, planer and tablesaw (all set properly) were used. Now I'm back in my comfort zone but I have one concern since these blocks need to be near perfect (chaos style end grain cutting board).

What is the best approach to squaring these smaller blocks. I was going to use my shooting board but realized that holding the small end to the fence without a clamp wouldn't work out very well. I don't have a clamping system for my shooting board.

Advice for an approach that has worked well for others would be appreciated.
    There is a shooting board variation for long grain work that's sometimes described as a "jointing board". LV describes it a bit in the instructions for their shooting plane (second to last page). Depending on just how large a number "many" is you might consider making a custom jointing board with an integral depth stop so that it cuts to the right thicknes, though obviously you can only use that on two of the four faces from each piece.

Can you glue up strips of contrasting material and then crosscut rows? This would limit your squarenes errors to the four outside edges of the final grid.
    No project too small or too expensive.

Blog Entries
    0Are the blocks all out of square equally?

If this is the case you may be able to glue them together in a way to cancel out the non-squareness.

Other than that a shooting board is likely going to be your friend. Even without a clamp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To get the first two sides square, clamp/screw a guide board to your shooting board.
    ShootBoardGuide.jpg

Then, make something like this to make the other two sides parallel -
    PegJig.jpg
    This particular one makes 25/64" square pegs for Greene & Greene work, but you can use the concept to make squared parts of any size. The workpiece fits into the slot, and the plane rides on the two 25/64" pieces glued to the base piece. The two rails are just there to guide the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kupiec View Post
    Can you glue up strips of contrasting material and then crosscut rows? This would limit your squarenes errors to the four outside edges of the final grid.
    Good idea but the fit is poor in a subtle but random manner. I could probably glue up the whole project but I would then have to fill the small gaps. I don't want to do that. I could glue it up then rip each joint, then glue again but that would be my last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    0Are the blocks all out of square equally?

If this is the case you may be able to glue them together in a way to cancel out the non-squareness.

Other than that a shooting board is likely going to be your friend. Even without a clamp.

jtk
    Not equally. I made a mistake of rushing into this project and I forgot to check the moisture content of the Mahogany, Hard White Maple, Black Walnut and Padauk (occasional accent)before I started sowood movement and internal stressors are what got me (I think). The fit is good in about 70% of the blocks but I have a lot of random blocks (four cutting boards).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Martens View Post
    To get the first two sides square, clamp/screw a guide board to your shooting board.
    ShootBoardGuide.jpg

Then, make something like this to make the other two sides parallel -
    PegJig.jpg
    This particular one makes 25/64" square pegs for Greene & Greene work, but you can use the concept to make squared parts of any size. The workpiece fits into the slot, and the plane rides on the two 25/64" pieces glued to the base piece. The two rails are just there to guide the plane.
    I'm going to use this approach. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    There is a shooting board variation for long grain work that's sometimes described as a "jointing board". LV describes it a bit in the instructions for their shooting plane (second to last page). Depending on just how large a number "many" is you might consider making a custom jointing board with an integral depth stop so that it cuts to the right thickness, though obviously you can only use that on two of the four faces from each piece.
    Great idea but not for this project. My Veritas low angle plane has trouble with some of these hardwoods end grain. Dulls fast and it's not heavy enough. Based on your note I finally decided to go ahead and get the Veritas beast and the track. Unfortunately it's not available until sometime after Jan 30th. For now I'll use Ted Martens' idea. The end grain needs to be very close on one side so tune up on any piece that's off will get on my old and inefficient shooting board/LA plane.

Thanks everyone!!! Have a Happy New Year!
    Dean
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com