Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirka sander vs Festool

If I could figure out a speed control and a brushless motor from RC stuff that would work, I could keep them alive for pretty much forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    If I could figure out a speed control and a brushless motor from RC stuff that would work, I could keep them alive for pretty much forever.
    I wondered if all of the speed control and mode switching was done in the head (on board the sander) and all the power supply did was feed the 24v. The power supply says its outputting 22v. I never put a meter to it but it wouldnt seem the Mirka power supply would be necessary if there is no control being done in the power supply itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    [SNIP] but it wouldnt seem the Mirka power supply would be necessary if there is no control being done in the power supply itself.

Ah. But the motor is a 3 pole and it's DC, the power coming out of the wall is single phase AC. So the power supply is just turning AC into DC. Then the ESC makes the three legs of power.

On the Deros, all of that inverter stuff is in the handle. I wish they would've kept the profile of the Ceros and put all the inverter stuff in the plug on the Deros. That would be a sweet little unit. With a lighter cord, that would pretty much eradicate anything negative I had to say about the Ceros. The box is a pain, and I don't care for the weight of the cord. The new poly hoses were probably the best thing to happen to the Dynabrade sanders, they became so light and so maneuverable once the big rubber hoses went away. The inverter box isn't a big deal, but it is less convenient than if it weren't there.

I found a picture of the one I had to take apart to shorten the cord on. The ESC is still connected to the motor. I'm not sure what the two smaller wires are. But you can see just two leads coming into the ESC. Possibly the other two are sensor wires? A lot of surface RC stuff runs sensored motors, but it's usually like six wires keeping track of the motor position rather than two. I just took apart what I had to and didn't touch anything else.

And yes, it wasn't the easiest tool to take apart.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    We changed to SurfPrep paper and they will probably go to SurfPrep sanders...
    Hey just curious what you think of the surfprep paper? Are you talking widebelt paper or the film sanding discs they sell?
    I have not been able to find many people actually using their products-paper or sanders. Thanks