Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Some new tools I've been making

  1. #1

    Some new tools I've been making

    hello, all! I just thought I'd share a few of the new creations I've been working on here in my shop.

    First is a cylindrical square. Kept the diameter to .0002" down it's length, and got the perpendicularity with the base nailed.
    Second is a set of surface clamps for the mill.
    Next is a carriage lock for the mini lathe.
    After that is a bench block.
    Last is a finger plate drilling jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    86
    What model and brand of mini lathe do you have?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post
    What model and brand of mini lathe do you have?
    It's the Little Machine Shop 5100. They are 7x16.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    4,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    It's the Little Machine Shop 5100. They are 7x16.
    You are having too much fun! I like the brass hardware. I have the LMS 8.5x20 HiTorque, excellent little lathe, yours looks similar.

    Do you have an LMS mill too? I got one with the lathe and I still can't believe how much use I've gotten from the pair.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You are having too much fun! I like the brass hardware. I have the LMS 8.5x20 HiTorque, excellent little lathe, yours looks similar.

    Do you have an LMS mill too? I got one with the lathe and I still can't believe how much use I've gotten from the pair.
    My mill is a Precision Matthews PM-25MV. I got it because it was larger than other mills in that class. I was going to get the Little Machine Shop model before I found PM. It cranks out a lot of work! I would like to have a larger lathe, but didn't have the funds for the 8.5x20. I've had the mill for two years, and the lathe for one.
    I actually have a Southbend 9" lathe, but it is stripped down. I suppose I could finish the restoration on it one of these days, but I don't have the space to set it up. I used to have a shop, but I left and moved all of my gear home. One of the drawbacks is that now everything has to fit in my basement shop.
    These little machines can do a lot of work, and with some fettling can do it with a high level of accuracy. I'm glad I got them. Having learned on full sized Bridgeports and Southbends, it took some getting used to!
    Over the last couple of years my main focus has turned to knifemaking. I've been taking a break from that for a few weeks to make tools and fixtures that I find handy for general work.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    839
    The cylindrical square a simple alternative is a wrist pin from a big diesel engine.
    Bill

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The cylindrical square a simple alternative is a wrist pin from a big diesel engine.
    Bill
    Hadn't thought about that. But the real purpose (for me anyway) was the exercise of making the square. It made me fine tune the lathe and get everything just right.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

  8. #8
    Here's a couple more from the last few days. First is a fixture plate for the mill with clamps. I set up the pins so that when a part is placed on the plate, it is at a known location.
    Second is an indicator to go on the tool post of my lathe. Done more for the practice of milling a dovetail than anything...but useful none the less.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    N.W. Missouri
    Posts
    1,523
    Mark, how do like dealing with Precision Matthews? I contacted them about spec details on their 10x22 lathe. Matt told me to download the manual for a larger lathe, that many of the specs were similar. The lathe was going to be $2000 with shipping and they didn't have anymore info than listed on their website!

    I found a 10x22 Bolton Tools fix-er-upper that is very similar, so I'm happy.


    John

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Mark, how do like dealing with Precision Matthews? I contacted them about spec details on their 10x22 lathe. Matt told me to download the manual for a larger lathe, that many of the specs were similar. The lathe was going to be $2000 with shipping and they didn't have anymore info than listed on their website!

    I found a 10x22 Bolton Tools fix-er-upper that is very similar, so I'm happy.

    John

    I am pretty happy with my experience with PM. The manuals were sparse, at best, when I bought my mill 2 years ago. They have a new version of the manual out now, and it is excellent. The machine itself is great for me. I was aware during the time that I was looking for a mill that PM had some customer service issues. However, a few people (on blogs/forums) had reported good experience. I took a chance, because I knew that their machine was what I wanted. I emailed a couple of times and called on the phone once or twice to ask questions before I purchased. I haven't really talked to them since, as I haven't had a reason to. Though I was just cruising some other forums the other day and most of what I heard was generally positive. My best guess is that they took care of the growing pains and got the business running smooth.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •