Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: woodpeckers ultra-shear chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perez chavez View Post
    Hello, I have a question did you finally buy Woodpeckers ultra shear gouges? Now I’m in the same situation and looks like there’s no much information about it yet.
    greetings.
    I bought 3 full size woodpecker ultra shear tools. I don't really care for any of them. They are certainly high quality, but I've since turned to traditional tools. Mine are just collecting dust mostly. I will occasionally use the diamond point tool for really fine line details. But the d-way tear drop tool produces cleaner cuts and is virtually impossible to get a catch. The only carbides I use are Hunter hollowing tools. Those use a much smaller cutter than the WP's and so aren't so "catchy". I'd sell my WPs, if anyone wants them.

I have a set of the WP full sized carbide tools and like them. I primarily make furniture and chairs, so while I'm working on my turning technique with HSS, there can be long lengths of time between turning where I seem to forget everything.

The carbide tools are great for turning a quick set of drawer pulls or some round shape I'm looking to make. Fast, not much technique to remember.

I haven't successfully used the "shear" feature but the tools fill a need for me right now.

Try them out - if you don't like them, then resell them for 90% of the cost.

Thank you so much. I’m just starting and planning with my wife to buy a lathe and maybe 2or 3 gouges. The first on is the Hunter osprey #2
    the second we were thinking on the Ncwoodturning round shank diamond point ($40) but we also wonder if the WP worth the extra money.
    I also was attracted by the WP shearing features and cut technology, but my wife doesn’t love WP.

I bought one several years ago, on sale at Woodcraft.
    I just recently switched the cutter with an easy wood negative rake one. works great for wild grain.
    That said I prefer HSS cutters. A wolverine jig set up has a fairly easy learning curve.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

THank you so much , my wife and I make characters with different types of wood but they take long about 4 or 6 weeks each.
    so we plan to do small things faster to sell.
    I like WP my concern is if that the shat that is triangle shape could be uncomfortable.
    then also wonder if they worth the extra $50 over the Ncwoodturning round shaft diamond cut.

Thank you. I totally agree with using HSS cutters. The carbide ones are just for our beginning.